No announcement yet.

Steve Vai's Charvel in Crossroads.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the part you are talking about... He says he used a Charvel for Crossroads that turned into the Green Meanie.

But he doesn't say it's the red Charvel- and it wasn't.

Comment

IIRC, there was a magazine interview with Vai on this recently, too. I believe he was referring to the Charvel he used to record the guitar duel parts. Not the guitar he played while filming.

You do realize that he wasn't actually playing live on film, right? And that the Karate Kid can't really shred like a mo'fo on an old Tele? That was Vai's recorded playing, too. Yes, he was dueling himself.

Comment

I loved that guitar from the first time I'd seen it in the movie. Tried my best to make my '82 charvel as close to that as I can. It has similarities. I always thought that was turned in to the green meanie too. I'm glad it wasn't.

Here is my '82

Comment

Thats a really cool SD brother,congrats.

For my money though i believe you shouldnt have routed the body in order to pull the bar up,you could just shim the neck.

Anyway it looks great
          Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            IIRC, there was a magazine interview with Vai on this recently, too. I believe he was referring to the Charvel he used to record the guitar duel parts. Not the guitar he played while filming.

You do realize that he wasn't actually playing live on film, right? And that the Karate Kid can't really shred like a mo'fo on an old Tele? That was Vai's recorded playing, too. Yes, he was dueling himself.
            The slide parts were played by Ry Cooder IIRC.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
              I'm pretty sure it was Ry Cooder, too, who played Ralph Macchio's parts.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think you're right, guys. Thanks for the reminder.

IIRC, though, it was only the slide parts. Not all of Macchio's parts. The non-slide Macchio was Vai.

Comment

Macchio's back, baby!!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c8a...-ralph-macchio

Comment

lol!
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                      Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      I'm pretty sure it was Ry Cooder, too, who played Ralph Macchio's parts.
                      all Ralph's bluesy stuff throughout the movie was by Ry. Vai played all the classical/shreddy parts in the headcutting scene. I don't know who did the classical recital Juilliard stuff.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by K.Dee View Post
                        Thats a really cool SD brother,congrats.

For my money though i believe you shouldnt have routed the body in order to pull the bar up,you could just shim the neck.

Anyway it looks great
                        That was done in about '85 or '86. I wish I'd left it alone. That isn't the original neck. It used to have a strhead. Cat knocked it off the stand. But it still kix axx now. It's been re-fretted with 6100's and a 20" radius. It is beyond FLAT and the action is NUTS!! I am contemplating a re-fin. Nothing is original on it, so I might as well make it the way I would like it. Might go with a close color to Mr.Vai's...or a little brighter. It's not that bright. More wine red. There was a lot of light in the room when that pic was taken. Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

That's too funny! He didn't know Karate either or so I hear. I guess he's just a world class actor or poser! LMAO
                          Last edited by leftykingv2; 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM.
                          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Uh, yes, that was already addressed above. And nearly 3 years ago. LOL

Comment

Yeah that's why I just got rid of it!
                              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X