Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a good deal on San Dimas guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this a good deal on San Dimas guitar?

Was the neck pickup added on that guitar?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It doesn't look like it was added after the fact but then again I haven't opened the control cavity up or removed the pickups yet.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I think it wins the award for most homemade locking nut as well
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The locking nut screws are loose which is why they're all whacked looking in the picture. It looks like it's actually a real Floyd Rose nut that has been ground/filed fairly flat. The problem is that the 6th string doesn't really lock down because it's too far over because whoever installed the thing didn't get it centered.

So the question is: what do I do about it? I don't think drilling more holes in it would be a particularly good idea. I was thinking of trying some locking tuners instead. It seems like it should work but I've never used locking tuners with a Floyd or a Kahler - has anybody been successful with that sort of thing? Any other suggestions here would much appreciated.

- Newc

Comment

man, i gotta go twist one in your honor.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Cheers! I'm about to go have a couple shots of Jägermeister myself.

- Newc

Comment

Don't do anything to it that invloves power tools. That is, most locking tuners will need the tuner holes reamed out to fit, and that will kill a lot of value.
          Just remove that abortion of a locking nut, add some trem springs, and play it as a hardtail with fine tuners and dig it.
          That is sweet, and believe me you scored in a BIG way.

Comment

Muthaaa.. Cripes, dude, you just scored majorly. Screwed up nut or not. Birdseye neck, bound mahogany body w/flame maple top. Congrats.

[ April 10, 2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

Congradulations

All excitement aside you have done very well. I am going to send an email to the admins about how unfair it is for people to stumble on these things and say " Do you think it's worth anything?" You have to remember us overpaying "retail" guys can pop at any minute... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , Look what you did to Tommy. you should be ashamed of yourself...

I think you know you have a great guitar there, and you got it for the price of a lifetime. When the guy who sold it to you kicks crack he will be looking for it back... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You have an excellent and valuable guitar. Since you paid so little you may want to have it looked at by a good guitar tech. Unless you are very good, do not do it yourself. Consider someone from the board or a "recomend" from someone here. You are so far ahead on this one you can afford to protect your investment.

BTW, I want it... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kevin
              It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy:
                someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!! this is mrs. atomic charvel guy, call an ambulance, i ran into the house when i heard my husband let out a banshee like scream of jealousy, it was a very loud "MUTHA****AAAA!!!!!!" i cannot revive him, please call 911!!!!!!!!! he is passed out, but he is pulling out his hair and still screaming!!
                somebody!!!!!!!!!
                mrs. atomic charvel guy
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Mrs. Atomic charvel guy... My boss now thinks I'm cracking up because I just burst out laughing hysterically!!!

Now on to more pressing matters...
                Sweet guitar!!!! The locking nut is kind of a bummer, but you could probably snag a chrome JT-6 locking nut and you should be good to go...
                Occupy JCF

Comment

All excitement aside you have done very well. I am going to send an email to the admins about how unfair it is for people to stumble on these things and say " Do you think it's worth anything?" You have to remember us overpaying "retail" guys can pop at any minute... , Look what you did to Tommy. you should be ashamed of yourself...
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Believe it or not I really wasn't sure about this deal.

I checked Ebay and couldn't get a good sense of what these were really worth. There weren't any to compare against on Ebay and it was difficult to guage mine against some of the other Charvel's for sale up there. I've only owned one other Charvel. It was an Explorer style I bought new in 1985 for $425 and sold a few years later. So combine that with a funky nut I was a little hesitant.

Then there's the amp. I even didn't know what model the amp was at all at first. Even finding out what the amp is, I still have not found another one for sale anywhere to guage the value.

I'm really stoked about it now. I played the guitar until the wee hours of the night last night (didn't even change the 6 year old strings). It plays and sounds great.

If all goes well, I should have the amp in a week or two. That baby should sing. I might even be tempted to play Black Magic Woman again...

- Newc

Comment

The locking nut is kind of a bummer, but you could probably snag a chrome JT-6 locking nut and you should be good to go...
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Forgive my ignorance but what's a JT-6 locking nut?

- Newc

Comment

Jackson designed a tremolo system (and I noticed that Fernandes has used it too..) that was licensed off of the original Floyd Rose.

Instead of replacing the regular nut with the floyd rose type of locking nut, Jackson used a nut similar to Kahler's design that utilized the standard non tremolo nut.

I can link a picture, but all the ones that I have with the JT-6 nuts are too dark to realy get a good idea on what they look like.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

If you want the locking nut issue to dissapear then contact me.(NO! I don't want to buy your guitar! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I can recommend THE best, for a stellar, non detectable repair.
                        I would even consider returning the guitar back to vintage style trem if I were you.

Comment

let me know if you ever want to trade it off...i hate stars but that neck looks exactly like the one on my main player (fractured)...as for the locking nut...fill the holes with dowels, sand them smooth and use small screws to re-install the nut into the top of the shelf...that's the way they're done now...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

First I read about the $450 BIN Bullseye, now this.

I'm depressed. What's a guy gotta do to find a deal like this? You certainly ain't gonna find one on either coast anywhere, and the pawn shops are starting to wise up. I'm thinking maybe you gotta take the summer off and hit every garage sale across Middle America.

Dang. Kick arse score, brutha.

Comment

I put a set of Planet Waves locking tuners on it and just removed the 3 lockdown gizmos from the locking nut base. I haven't removed the locking nut base yet. It seems to me that having the screws in there is better than just having the empty holes through the headstock.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X