Nut width 1 5/8 or 1 11/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nut width 1 5/8 or 1 11/16

I had a Custom in one of my guitars and I had a hard time getting pinch harmonics out of it. But I did love the warmth of the Custom. I put a Dimarzio Double Whammy in the guitar and the pink harmonics sing now. I don't want to use the same pickup in this guitar though. That's why I was trying to get some feedback.

Comment

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I've always thought getting harmonics (normal and pinch) was more of a technique issue than a pickup issue, but I guess since amps effect it, it'd make sense that pickups do too. I'd think higher output and more high mids (like the JB) would be what you'd look for in that case. Just a thought. Have you ever tried the Bill Lawerence pickups? You might like the 500XL though they may look a little weird in that guitar.

Comment

I have tried the Duncan Custom and it is very nice and warm. However I find that the harmonics lack a lot.

Comment

Tim, just to let you know, I know where there is a beautiful Wayne Bengal with the same pickup & Trem configuration. It can be had at the dealers cost! I almost bought it but I ended up finding a Crossed Swords strat head.

If you want pictures let me know. The price is 1789.00 with a hard case, ser# 199. It may sound like a lot but I would imagine that it's going to at least cost you 1500.00 + for a GMW. I think the Wayne would be a better investment 2 or 3 hundred bucks more. You would be getting the real deal! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ April 21, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Fretburner ]

Comment

You could also try an R4 nut. that would give you a little more string space, but depending how your frets are filed on the edge, you might not have enough room.
            R-2 1 5/8"
            R-3 1 11/16" (narrow string space)
            R-4 1 11/16" (wide string space)

I like R4 better, but I still have one of my Ontario jackson's with the R3 because when I solo, the "E" string(s) tend to fall off the fretboard. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by mulder1966:

I like R4 better, but I still have one of my Ontario jackson's with the R3 because when I solo, the "E" string(s) tend to fall off the fretboard. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is that the difference between the R3 and R4? The R4 gives you wider string-to-string spacing but at the cost of the E strings being right at the edge of the fretboard?

I guess I don't quite understand what this is saying (from www.apintl.com):

Nut #3 - Neck Width 1-11/16 42.5 to 42.8mm narrow string spacing

Nut #4 - Neck Width 1-11/16 42.8 to 43.3mm wide string spacing

[ April 24, 2003, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: iron_monkey ]

Comment

The overall dimensions of the R3 and the R4 are the same, but the R4 has a wider string spacing.
                So if you have a neck that is 1 11/16", and the frets are dressed on the edges, you will most likely want the R3 so you don't have the problem of the E string slipping off.

Comment

Makes sense now. Thanks.

Comment

The guitar listed above I actually have played. It is at Splawn guitars in Dallas, NC. I live in Atlanta so it is a 3 hour drive. That Wayne Bengal is by far the biggest piece of **** I have ever picked up. The paint job was terrible! For anyone looking for a great Marshall mod though Scott Splawn does nice work.

Comment

Working...
                    X