Nut width 1 5/8 or 1 11/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nut width 1 5/8 or 1 11/16

It'll look great either way. However, if you go with a strathead, I generally prefer them non-painted. That said, I also prefer the original tigerstripe designs on the SD Charvels. i.e., Thicker stripes, no "spine", etc. More attractive, IMHO. See:

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/cha...strat-tony.jpg

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered my guitar today from Lee. I will post pic's when I get it. Only 3-4 months...uuurrgghh. That is going to be a long wait.

Comment

I prefer 1 11/16.
        Bengal on a Strathead would be great.

Comment

What did you finally order?

Comment

1-3/4" nut strathead [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

No way Hossman, no way!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

1 5/8" all the way baybeee!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I ordered a strathead neck with a clear satin finish with a 1-11/16 neck. The headstock will have the bengal design on it. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I will post pic's when I get it. Bye the way I tried out a couple of Wayne Charvel guitars before ordering this and I was very suprised on how cheap they are for the money. FYI

Comment

Hey everyone Tim here again. I have awhile to decide what pickups go in this monster. I told Lee to put a Duncan Distortion in it and he told me a had awhile to change my mind. Any thought on a great humbucker for that great 80's rock and lead tone. I change pickups like I change underwear. This guitar is going to have the humbucker bound to the body so I want to get it right the first time out. What is everyones thought. I wan't something warm with great harmonics and great lead and rythem tone. What I have noticed with most pickups is you get one or the other. Any feedback would be great. I think all of us on this forum like getting advice from many to give us a more wide variety of options.

Comment

i like 1 11/16th, the 1 5/8ths is too small for my hands, and i have a hard time playing open string chords cleanly on a 1 5/8ths neck. 1 3/4 is huge [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

for pickups the winner on flexibility seems to be the SD JB. That is definitely a sweet pickup!...

What do you think of the DiMarzio evolutions?...

Comment

I like the JB but I wanted something with a little more output. I have never heard the evolutions. I do like an old Dimarzio model called the Double Whammy though.

Comment

Have you tried the Duncan Custom? It's a bit higher output than the JB, though doesn't always sound that way since it's a bit more evenly voiced with less mid emphasis. It handles cleans much better and is far more flexible in my experience. It's my favorite of the Duncan lineup.

Comment

you should try the new duncan custom V (5) its the same windings as the custom and custom custom but with a different magnet (which is what seperates them all. here is the description from duncan:

SH-14 Custom 5
                            see | dimensions
                            The SH-14 Custom 5 pickup was developed by an eager group of contributors to our web user group who replaced the ceramic or Alnico 2 magnet in an SH-5 Custom or SH-11 Custom Custom with an Alnico 5. Tonally, the Custom 5 is a compromise between these two pickups. It offers the optimum balance of warmth, punch, power and clarity.
                            Compared to the SH-5 and SH-11, the tone is more vintage, with less distortion, but it’s still very strong and powerful. It’s fuller than an SH-5 with softer highs, more bass, and slightly less output. It’s got a great rhythm sound and a beautiful, deep singing lead tone. Clean sounds are rich and full with enhanced presence. Think of the Custom 5 as a higher output SH-1 ’59 with a deeper bottom end and expanded output.
                            The Custom 5 comes in black, white or zebra (black and cream), as well as the following colors at no extra charge -- red, red & black, pink, green, light blue, dark blue & yellow. Four-conductor cable, with traditional or Trembucker spacing.

Custom 5 Tech Specs

D.C resistance 14.4K ohms
                            Resonant Frequency 5.4KHz.
                            E.Q. 6/3/8 Low/Mid/High
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I don't really care for the JB too much in my Hamer that's got a mahogany body/neck, maple top. The treble and high mid sounds out of that pup are good, but it just needs a little more low end. I would think the JB sounds even brighter in an alder-bodied Jackson and don't think it would suit it well, IMO.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tim,

Out of curiosity, what causes you to say the Custom lacks in the harmonics area. I hear this about various pickups and have never understood what people mean by it. Just curious?

Aside: the Custom 5 is pretty cool, but it's definitely less output and less aggressive than the Custom.

Ross

Comment

Working...
                                X