Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a chance to buy San Dimas #1275 Star - Advice needed ASAP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I have a chance to buy San Dimas #1275 Star - Advice needed ASAP!!

Neddi 2g is high for a refin'd OFR modded charvel. usually the vintage trems fetch more $ than even original OFR equipt guitars. with those mods i think $1200 -1500 is more of a fair price. or if u dont care about factory made U could build a Star, i know there are a few SD necks floating around if u look carefully & star bodies from GMW are pretty sweet.

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] hey kev , house is bought ! and as far as priceing on guitars your opinion is ok but if you guys that buy dont want your market prices jacked up then we should only give ADVISE ON PRICES! REQUIRE A HANDS ON INSPECTION AND TAKE THE WHOLE GUITAR APART AND GET THE REAL DEAL RIGHT ! my 2 cents , alz

Comment

"There will be those who will say, 'Woah, $1500 for a modded star is just TOO much'. Check back with them next year at this time and see if they still think so."

Comment

I would Say buy it but 2 grand tell him $1500

heck you can order one from GMW they way you want it for under around $1500

it is up to you Big Ned

if you realwant it go for it

Comment

As I said before - If it's what you want and you don't plan on selling it soon - go for it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The $2000 is a little on the high side but if you don't get it you might never. Dude if it makes you happy go for it - Money is not important you are. I agree with Kevin that a appraisal is a good thing.
            Their no way can buying a guitar or two drive up the market, also there is no way any one or two buyers can do that either. Damn if that was the case I would be doing the same with stocks, cars and all kinds of things. San Dimas Guitars are far and few between.
            Yes you could get a New GMW - but the magic would not be there, the neck will take years to get the fell of a Dimas. It will never be a San Dimas it is a GMW.
            If it is what you want and you can swing it do it and play the heck out of it.. the wood is good.

Good Luck

[ December 14, 2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Hossman ]

Comment

BTW Congrat's on the house and engagement Al ...
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

That Star I do believe is the same Star that a gentelman is holding in the GROUP shot of employees holding guiatrs from 1982 (one with the 3 pickup Jackson strat)..it is stupid rare with BOUND neck..too bad on refin but its worth $2k... easy

Comment

Hey Hoss, it's the tobacco burst star! That's what his looked like before he had it redone- Is it the exact same guitar? Neddi
                  www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

I and another collector believe it is the same guitar. The serial number is right in the time frame of this picture. I know where a couple of these guitars are and also the time frame. Again well worth th $2000 but sad about the refinish, the Floyd is not that big a deal. Knowing that that is the same guitar, I believe you might be able to get your money out of it right away if you spend $2000.00 on her.. Very Rare guitar indeed
                    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 14, 2002, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Hossman ]

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] thanks kev and to all i agree with everyone ! my motto is try to get the best deal to give the best deal ! peace alz

Comment

Yea Al Congrats [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey Neddi Just buy it if you don't like it i am sure there are a few guys on the Forum that would buy it off of you for $2000

[ December 14, 2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: JacksonShredder ]

Comment

Here's why I think the guitar is worth it TO ME:

-I've always wanted a San Dimas for the mystique of owning one but could never find one that I liked and would have played as is without modding it(I won't buy a guitar to not play it)

-This guitar has been refinished and modded with a Floyd (exactly what I would've done because I didn't like the old finish and I use Floyds)

-I don't have to worry about it being a fake because it comes from a very trusted friend that I've known for well over 10 years

-The guitar is in near mint condition and plays like a dream

I know my taste's differ from some of yours but I'm glad he did what he did to it or else I wouldn't even consider buying it- It's black with white binding, how cool is that- The only thing I might change if I get it is swap the chrome Floyd for a black one and throw black pegs on- How hot would that guitar look!!! I'll get some pics up soon- I wasn't trying to do anything with market prices by posting this thread as I am not a collector and I don't normally buy production guitars- You guys know me around here- I'm a player first and foremost- I think having more then a few guitars is a waste if you don't PLAY them all regularly- I know guys have hundreds of guitars- Why? There are guitarist's out there that deserve a nice guitar but can't find one or can't afford one- That's the biggest waste of all imho- Remember when Doc sent me that guitar because I wasn't working at the time and I was hurting for cash- Now that was cool! He even offered it to me for a more than fair price- Never once was money an issue with him- I needed help and he helped me- How many "collectors" do you know would part with one of their guitars for a guitarist that's struggling? I'm sorry but it seems like it's all about the mighty buck for some around here- Buy low and sell high- Nothing wrong with that but when is it enough? I don't remember specifics so don't cut and paste my quote and ask for 'em- You do what makes you happy and I'll keep playing my guitar- Sorry about the rant- Just remember, you can't take 'em with you when you die- Neddi

Dammit Jim, I'm a guitar player not a collector!
                          "Viva la guitar players"

Comment

Well said, Nedro! My collection is gone. I now own that old GMW/Whatever strat and my GMP. Thats it. Thats all I need. No more line ups of cool guitars that I feel guilty not playing or am afraid to sweat on, ding, etc. I will build one more parts mutt just for giggles. but I don't NEED a wall of guitars to stare at. And frankly, i spent more time swapping from guitar to guitar than actually playing or writing songs. Does my head in!
                            Buy that Charvel if you can and PLAY THAT MOTHER! Like Hoss said, thats what they were built for!

Disclaimer: The above was in NO WAY a dis towards people who do have many, many guitars. I don't mean to slight you guys one bit!

Comment

(Getting Out the fLame suit)
                              Charvels IMO, are meant to be played...and played hard, thats what they were built for and thats what they do best, not sit and decay away, 2000 for a star, if you like it, why not??..I have and will again pay 2+k for the "RIGHT" Charvel star,and i don't mean "RARE" I mean crushing players.. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] I have a couple very special ones that would probobly sell for more but I still play them, then away they go until the next day..

Comment

Just so I get it out of the way, I wasn't dissing guys with wads of guitars if they play them all and somewhat good- If you're a collector and you can't play that well it's just a waste of guitars imo- Why have 100+ guitars when there's a really good guitar player out there who can't afford or get the guitar he wants- I understand the "I like to collect guitars" thing but it's always gonna be a waste in my eyes- There's a lot of those "collectors" on ebay snatching up everything they can get their greedy little hands on because they can afford it- Too bad so sad for the poor shlub who can't afford it but can play circles around the "collector"- Neddi

Comment

Working...
                                X