The EVHII Holy Grail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The EVHII Holy Grail

There were as many as three different paint patterns Eddie had. he did change necks from guitar to guitar.
    1st EVH during the Photo shoot of the VHII album.
    2nd Ed playing another one at home with Val on an Entertainment Tonight Segment.
    A possible 3rd one can be seen at Rockwalk.com in a 360 photo supposedly donate by EVH to them.
    My bet would be that they made a couple of the same paint as the VHII cover for ed so he had a backup on stage (guessing).
    Early Fenders had the neck pockets painted. It could be possible the very early evhs were painted in the neck pocket but I dont no for sure either way. I will ask some early employees and see what they remember.

Comment

Charvel never routed the pockets regarding neck-to-body angle.....that what those little shims in the neck pocket were used for. I think Warmoth was the first company to route the pocket for the neck angle pitch. As for being scared of a Pre-Pro Charvel with paint in the neck pockets.....I am not scared...there are quite a few like that...you pass em up....I'll pick em up.-Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

HMMM..How about POINTY EVH 2's...how many..Rare??

Comment

I have owned FOUR EVII graphics. All had the neck pockets re-routed.

The 81' catalog star had the neck pocket re-routed.

All the other numerous pre-serialized and serialized Charvels I have owned were ALL the same!!!!!!!!! Re-routed neck pockets!!!!!

I have photos of all of them if you need that kind proof...

We have collectively come the conclusion (In a previous thread) that if Charvel used neck shims, it was an abberation.

(??????)

-eric

[ December 16, 2002, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: abalonevintage ]

Comment

that doesnt look rerouted to me, looks masked during painting

Comment

I have seen them with paint in the pockets and, obviously, without paint in the pockets.....they were all legit. I do not believe they were re-routed after paint.I feel they were either masked, sanded or razor bladed clean....ever see what a router does to paint.....it chips the hell out of it.-Lou
              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I highly doubt any guitar builder would re-route a neck pocket after the guitar/body was painted. there too much of a chance to destroy a new paint job, & if the did it to make the neck angle proper dont u think they would have done the neck angle right the first time. other wise the butt end of the heal would not be at a 90% angle to the angled face of the pocket. i know ive had neck pockets angled for OFRs & there always seems to be a gap at under the overhanging fret board but the neck is pushed up into the pocket as far as it will go. because it was NOT done all at once & the pocket has a 2degree angle but the pockets end is still 90degrees not 92degrees.

Comment

Upon close inspection, you can clearly tell that they are re-routed. I don't know why you guys cannot believe this.....

You can even tell they were done with a hand router.

The overhead pin routers were set up to route the bodies flat. The neck pockets would have to be compensated after the fact.

Charvel tapped off the pickup cavities, and some of the electronic and trem cavities.

Builders and manufacturers routinely route guitars after they are painted. Many of the 80's style guitars were modified (EVERY KRAMER!)after they were painted to accept different electronics or locking tremolo.......and they didn't chip! I've installed tons of aftermarket stuff on guitars that required routing and the paint didn't chip (??????)

-eric

Comment

noone rerouts....most of the handles used for painting have plates that fit inside the pocket for masking reasons....and, why would they use a hand router???? they used pin routers to make guitars.....i think you are confused

Comment

Heres an unmolested pocket pic from a SD. I'd have to say its most likely left clean from a handle and not routed or masked for theres no edge where the paint starts and ends.
                      http://www.members.aol.com/njnihonto/sdpocket.jpg
                      Why the EVH2's would be done differently I have no idea, Gary

Comment

Doug, I'm not confused. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] No one re-routs neck pockets? Were talking late 70's early 80's. Not now......and were talking about a SMALL company that would not have state-of-the-art equipment.

Remember the thread about Charvel using a piece of cut string to figure the bridge placement? (*Cough..uh hum...clears throat...*)

Charvels PIN routers were not used to "finish off" the neck pocket. You should be able to look at the neck pocket and tell by the tool marks that they were done with a much smaller router.

Gary, your guitar was re-routed after the primer but before the paint. Anybody that builds guitars should be able to look at that photo and tell that.

Charvels templates may have been dimensionally worn down by the mid 80's and they may decided to re-rout for the neck angle after the primer. Or, due to the paint "popping off" at the neck pocket, they may have decided to change their procedure to minimize this.

I checked the neck pocket on my 1979 Charvel (since I had it apart to photograph it) and the neck angle is "NOT" at a 90 degree angle.

-eric

[ December 17, 2002, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: abalonevintage ]

Comment

Great debate and interesting views.
                          The ¨paintsticks¨ do not cover the whole pocket. Older Fender guitars leave the paintstick marks. That was always a sign of real vs fake. I would imagine charvel in the early part left part of the paint with the paint stick marked or simply painted a thin coat of black over the whole pocket. I also would imagine Charvel re-routed the neck pockets with he same router and same setting just to get the neckpocket clean from the paint if there was any re-routing at all. Hand routing would be to sloppy and time consuming unless the had a steadied template. Sand would be neater but also time consuming. The clean neck pockets such as the one pictured above do look machine done. I fine bit would not chip the paint. They did remove the excess paint the question is exactly how.

But this is straying from the Holy Grail hunt.

Comment

My whole point in this was this guys.....I thought Eric was stating that Charvel was cutting the neck pocket angle to accomodate for neck-to-body pitch regarding different trems.....Charvel did not do that.....Warmoth was the first to do that as far as I know...maybe a private luthier or 2 tinkered around with it....but, no one was able to do it on a mass scale till Warmoth did it. Then Eric stated that there must be something wrong with them to have paint left in the pockets and that he would be scared of them......and in my return...I said that if you see a pre-pro Charvel with paint in the pocket and it scares you...send it my way...I will take all I can get if the price is right. So, no big deal.....I wasnt trying to ruffle feathers. Next thing you know......someone will claim SD Charvels were built in SD.-Lou

Comment

Hahahahahaa...I like Lou... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think the reason Charvel did this after the guitars were painted was so that the necks would fit tightly. Us old farts remember how bad the 70's Fenders were. The 3 bolt neck wasn't a great idea...but the fact the necks were often LOOSE compounded the problem.

The VARYING paint thickness in the neck pocket was, and is, a real problem.

Rout the neck pocket to fit the neck and your neck will fit like a glove....your paint may pop off over time, but uh...... Again, I "think" they had two templates. One for satin necks and one for gloss necks.

I have only owned one "gloss" neck and did not put a caliper on it to check its width.

-eric

[ December 17, 2002, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: abalonevintage ]

Comment

you guys are way off....they would never use a hand router, its too hard to control especially after a guitar has been cut out.....you can use any size bit in a pin router, largeness has nothing to do with it....IF they rerouted, then they really didnt know what they were doing....everyone makes their own paint sticks....to me, those neck pockets look like masking jobs....by your logic, to have been rerouted to create that edge of paint would leave 2 different levels in the neck pocket like a swimming pool effect......

or why dont you call wayne charvel and ask him about it

Comment

Working...
                                X