Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G&G Guitar Cases (probably a stupid question!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&G Guitar Cases (probably a stupid question!)

The G&G Cases included w/ the Art Series ain't the same as what Suhr and Anderson use. There's no foam or support under the neck, and no contoured cutout for the body. The neck rests on a piece of velvet covered wood under the nut. Probably an overreaction, but should I be concerned about the long-term use of this case? (i.e. the lack of neck support and the pressure on the top of the neck from the closed case). All axes are stored standing up, and in their cases.
    [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: G&G Guitar Cases (probably a stupid question!)

The only concern I have about the G&Gs is during shipping. The lack of a form-fitting insert means those guitars can move around quite a bit while the UPS/FedEX/USPS monkeys are doing their Samsonite routine on them. I think this is a bigger concern for pointy headstocks. IMHO, the lack of soft support behind the neck itself is less of a concern. Otherwise, they're great cases.

Bottom line: IMHO, the form-fitting SKB cases used for Jacksons are likely superior in protecting the guitar from damage during shipping. But for everyday use, I'd prefer a G&G. Ideally, I'd like a G&G case with a soft SKB-like form-fitting insert.

Comment

You can get those form fit G&G cases but its an upcharge. Not sure if thats possible with production series guitars, but several mentioned it on the similar thread about jackson G&G cases IRT custom shop orders. Its a big concern for me right now, so I'm hoping to get some opinions from the dealers on that one. I certainly don't want to risk my custom shop getting damaged after the long wait for the build.

The biggest concern from the people who posted on the jackson topic was the headstock so it may be less of an issue with the charvels, but still with the price of the EVH series I'd definitely want to make sure that instrument has the highest survivability rate.

Comment

I've never ever had an issue shipping a charvie in a G&G case..

With that said ..now I'm worried!! hope ups doesn't read this ..
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

the case isn't the problem during shipping...it is how they are packed. new guitars are shipped from the manufacturer fully tuned and with little to no packing material inside the case. nothing will crack a neck faster than strings at full tension taking a hit like whiplash. the idea is that they can ship these fully set up so the end retailer doesn't have to take any setup time...ready to play right outta the box. and many dealers also have no idea on how to pack a guitar for shipping either. if packed correctly you should be able to ship a guitar in a gig bag (inside a box of course) and have it survive UPS and FedEx.

Comment

True that, the warmoth I got from Doc was shipped in a gig bag and it arrived fine, had to adjust the truss rod cause of the temperature change but he wrapped it in a ton of bubble and peanuts and it was perfectly fine.

I hope Matt or Scott will see these and shed some light on this, I am sure they have some insight to offer about this issue.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Ideally, I'd like a G&G case with a soft SKB-like form-fitting insert.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks Pat! and for the record, what you've described is EXACTLY what Tom and John do w/ their G&G's! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I've never ever had an issue shipping a charvie in a G&G case..

With that said ..now I'm worried!! hope ups doesn't read this ..

[/ QUOTE ]
                [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks Pat! and for the record, what you've described is EXACTLY what Tom and John do w/ their G&G's! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are describing the G&G Center Pocket Form Fit case.

Comment

or as Lee at GMW calls them
                    "the Empire Case"
                    I have one of these for my GMW and it fits like glove.
                    I should probably get one for my GX bullseye. that G&G case
                    is the standard one.
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks kickass, Chuck. The better hardshell exterior of the G&G coupled with the tight formfitting soft interior of the SKBs. Best of both worlds, IMHO. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Then again, I just had to return a damaged new guitar. And that had an SKB, so WTF do I know? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And the Charvel G&Gs are quite nice.

I suppose the reality is that it can happen in a G&G or SKB, formfit or no, packed well or no. It's all law of averages, eventually. ...But I would suspect that the better G&G that Chuck shows in that picture has a real nice, low average chance of damage. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck....exactly!

Comment

Working...
                        X