EVH Art Series Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Art Series Neck

the Charvel SWAG states that the Art Series has a "specially formulated oil finish".

anyone have any idea what it is? [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I'm asking because I've got Anderson's and Suhr's that I'd like to refinish w/ a similar "treatment". Any insight's appreciated!
    mike. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: EVH Art Series Neck

Urethane oil is the finish. It's basically a Linseed oil modified with polyurethane additive. I use it all the time. SEE Here:http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=770. It will not tint or discolor the wood. Very durable.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

is it considered a hard finish w/ the poly additive?

Comment

I thought Charvel was referring to it as a formulation of gunstock oil? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          is it considered a hard finish w/ the poly additive?

[/ QUOTE ]
          It's just like a standard oil finish. Charvel, Jackson, Peavey are some examples. Wipe on wipe off. The urethane modifier gives it more of a moisture barrier. The manufactuer's use it for "oil finishes" and reduce the likelihood or warranty claims due to humidity/warping etc. as compared to "hard finish" like Polyurethane clear (2 part epoxy, reducer mixture), or Nitrocellulose Lacquer satin or gloss. One oil/poly coat will give a good seal and will feel just like wood. 2-3 feel like a typical oil finish. The coats are rubbed out with 0000 steel wool or equivalent Scotch Brite.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

It seems ALL reissue Charvels have that neck not just the EVH
            Charvel® USA Standard San Dimas 1H w/Floyd Rose®
            282-1120-803 (Black)

Alder body, bolt-on quartersawn Eastern hard rock maple neck with specially formulated oil finish, ebony fingerboard, 1 11/16” nut width, 22 Jumbo frets, 25 1/2” scale, Seymour Duncan® TB-14 humbucking pickup, Floyd Rose Original tremolo and black hardware

Comment

I don't know what it is, but whatever it is - it's awesome! I just played an EVH for the first time on Sunday (a B/Y) and it was great. The neck feels perfect!
              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Gunstock Oil. Then we buff it a bit. Shhh...don't tell anyone!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Gunstock Oil. Then we buff it a bit. Shhh...don't tell anyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you John!
                  mike.

Comment

birchwood casey gunstock oil you can get it at wal mart in the hunting department works great

Comment

Yes, it does.

Comment

Yes, Gunstock Oil is Linseed Oil with some modifiers. I use the Linseed with the Urethane additive for a longer lasting finish and does not soil over time like straight oil does.

Comment

Working...
                        X