Jackson Special 5-Way Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Special 5-Way Switching

Well, now that I've introduced myself, I can make use of the collective wisdom of this board and ask my first question about my new Charvel. Namely, what is Jackson Special 5-Way Switching?

All I know is it's a $60 upcharge on both the Jackson and Charvel price lists (as in, $60 above the "standard" 5-way switch).

Fender CS didn't have any idea, but they hypothesized that it wasn't an actual, standardized item, but rather an upcharge to have your 5-way switch wired any way you wanted. If it makes a difference, here's how mine is wired:

1: Bridge
    2: Neck side coils of the two humbuckers
    3. Both humbuckers
    4: Bridge side coils of the two humbuckers
    5: Neck

Seemed a bit counterintuitive that the neck side coils would follow the full bridge and the the bridge side coils would be in position 4 right before the full neck in position 5, but it works really well in terms of the sounds I'm getting.

Any ideas? Is the switching I have Jackson Special 5-Way? Or is it just one type of Jackson Special 5-Way?

Thanks
    BAN

Re: Jackson Special 5-Way Switching

Well its hard to tell but I didn't see an upcharge on my spec sheet for my unique position configuration. Then again they don't really write in what is an upcharge but the quote was actually less than I expected so I doubt they hit me with an upcharge.... I was confused by this as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      they hypothesized that it wasn't an actual, standardized item, but rather an upcharge to have your 5-way switch wired any way you wanted

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The Jackson special five way switch allows for more complex combinations. I ordered it on my Jackson CS and it will be wired as follows.......

1 bridge
      2 both inside single coils
      3 both hums
      4 neck hum split to single coil
      5 neck hum
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Thanks, Jim. That's what I needed to know.

BAN

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          they hypothesized that it wasn't an actual, standardized item, but rather an upcharge to have your 5-way switch wired any way you wanted

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The Jackson special five way switch allows for more complex combinations. I ordered it on my Jackson CS and it will be wired as follows.......

1 bridge
          2 both inside single coils
          3 both hums
          4 neck hum split to single coil
          5 neck hum

[/ QUOTE ]
          That's how my Fender Double Fat Strat is wired. I believe VitaminG has a Jackson Fusion with 5-way and it's a tiny bit different, so you might want to specify what coils you want split just to be on the safe side.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X