General Charvel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Charvel Question

No doubt about it Charvels are great guitars. I own one of them.

But with all of the 24 fret guitars out there I was wondering why is it that people will buy a 22 fret Charvel as opposed to some other Jackson model that is a 24 fretter?

Is there a perceived overall difference in tone or playability or something?

Reading a lot on the net the "holy grail" of tone seems to be the maple top with a mahagony body and Charvels are mostly single wood instruments.

I was comparing my PC1 and my Charvel last night and got to thinking about it. Is there something special about the Charvels that all you guys like over the 24 fret alternatives?

Which led me thinking in the direction of maybe picking up a 24 fret Charvel guitar somewhere. But I thought the 24 fretters were only made in Japan.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: General Charvel Question

Yep, no 24 fret charvies from san dimas have surfaced.Not that it was never done though, just doubtful. As for 22 or 24 frets,that is just preference.I dont like them anymore, but during my shred phase i did.I had a vandy, ibenhad and jacksons with 24 fret necks.I like 21 or 22 fret necks now.

Comment

I can't stand 24 fret necks. They feel wrong to me. Plus, they place the neck pickup too far down, which in my opinion really alters the tone of that pickup...making it too bright.

I rarely even play above the 15th fret anyway...they don't call it the dusty area for nothing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Reading a lot on the net the "holy grail" of tone seems to be the maple top with a mahagony body

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that rumor is spread by Gibson during the last 50 years [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't need 24 frets. I'm also comfortable with 22. 24 frets would only be two notes more [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Reading a lot on the net the "holy grail" of tone seems to be the maple top with a mahagony body and Charvels are mostly single wood instruments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen many SDs with multiple wood combos. As for 24 fret Charvels, I have never seen an original SD 24 fretter. But there are the SD reissues 24 fretters. IMO relogo'ed Jacksons as they share no similarities to the original SD,s.

22 versus 24. I have never owned a 24 fret guitar. For me 22 is just right.

Comment

There is no "right" answer. Woods, number of frets, whatever. It's all just personal preferences.

Comment

When we limit the discussion to the standard Strat scale length:

Compared with 22 fret necks, proper 24 fret necks have the heel shifted forward by 2 or 3 cm ('bout 1 inch, the reason why such necks don't intonate on standard Strats). Therefore the upper cutaway of Dinkys and modern Ibanezs starts near the 19th fret whereas the standard Strat cutaway is near the 17th fret. Such guitars might balance differently.

Lamentably, this is not the canonical construction of 24 fretters: older JEMs have the long heel, but the cutaway at the 17th fret and Warmoth offers necks with a 24 fret extension that intonate on 22 fret bodies.

Comment

I have both 22 fretters (Chavels/mutts, a Gibson, older Jacksons etc.) and 24 fretters (an ESPee and a Soloist).

When I was a kid I was all about neck-though construction and the extra two frets (remeber Rand guitar with 27?!!?!?). These days I almost exclsively play 22 fret bolt-on guitars. I am a big fan of B Phrygian so for me, the missing fret on a 21 fretter is a deal breaker, but 22 works fine. I have not found that much of a use for the 24 frets except for the occational high e which I just simulate using the natural harmonic over the neck pup (or at the 5th fret). I also find that the repositioning of the bridge pup on my 24 fretters to be annoying.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I am starting to see that it is mostly personal preference. Thats cool.

I just do a lot of arpeggios along with playing and I run the Am all the way up to the 24th fret. Also use the high E for accentuation so I like 24 frets personally.

I was wondering if there was anything construction wise that might give a Charvel a different tone or anything but from what everyone is saying it is more personal preference.

Thanks guys that answers my question.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

dont really care about 24 frets. i never end up using it, and when i do want to reach that final octave, i'd rather bend up to it. sounds cooler

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I just do a lot of arpeggios along with playing and I run the Am all the way up to the 24th fret. Also use the high E for accentuation so I like 24 frets personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

im the same way, but there alot of killer 22 fret guitars (USA charvel/jackson strats of course). i figure if i end up picking one up ill have to start playing in g more often and strech my little fingers that wee bit more.

chris

Comment

Working...
                      X