Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brass trems: Floating or hardtail/stringthru......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass trems: Floating or hardtail/stringthru......

I am considering branching out a little and am looking for some input. I generally like floating bridges, but I do not like the classic brass bridge for trem work so I would probably never even screw the bar in.

Should I do a string through or just let it float?

Will the hardtail/stringthru be more stable for tuning?

Which do you think would have more re-sale value on a HRF?

Any other comments?
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Re: Brass trems: Floating or hardtail/stringthru......

I'd go with a V-trem James & just set it up so there's no float,tuning stability will be fine with that set up & won't affect performance as you won't be using the bar anyway!!
    & re-sale value won't be affected as the next owner could use it that way or set it up to use the trem!!

Comment

Thanks Chuck. Probably makes sense and I appriciate the input.

Comment

I agree with Chuck 100%.

Comment

I agree with Chuck. I get my guitars with V trems and put 5 springs on them. They are not going anywhere like that. They become hardtails at that point, but they still hold value.
          I personally like hard tails...but they lock you into a certain niche of buyers and sellers.

Monte

Comment

Well, ive got two opinions here.
            My jake esp has a hardtail and i never have tuning problems.I am no brad gillis so its no big deal not to have a trem at all.As far as resale value, there are plenty of people who love hardtails.

Brass trems, IMO, are the best sounding bridges out there.Tuning problems can be taken care of like chuck said, but for my money they just have the best tone .

Comment

I think the reason people like the tone of a v-trem is because of the resonance the springs lend to the body .. any thoughts?
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I would agree with that Kev,also the route adds a bit of acoustic res too!!Hard to beat the tone with all that brass!!

Comment

Absolutely - true hardtails just don't sound the same as a body that's all routed out for a trem - floating or otherwise.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I think the reason people like the tone of a v-trem is because of the resonance the springs lend to the body .. any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">In most cases I would agree here but have you ever had a problem with the "symathy vibrations" from the strings, sounding like hell? I'm not sure if it's the quality of springs or what but I've had a brass vintage trem with that problem once and I changed the springs and it was fine. I tried putting the old springs back in, in a different order, and it sounded like crap again. Possibly "sprung/stretched" springs or just crappy spring material? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yup,I've seen the sympathetic string vibration problem a few times too Dave,usually a piece of foam under the springs or a thick piece of tape over them will deaden any noises!! Probably from stretched springs!!

Comment

Cool guys. If I go ahead with this plan, v-trem it is!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I would agree with that Kev,also the route adds a bit of acoustic res too!!Hard to beat the tone with all that brass!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too. I have my v-trem setup with 5 springs and all clamped down so it's a hard tail. I once tried putting felt between the springs and noticed that the guitar lost a bit of "chime" to its tone. So definily the v-trem adds to tone (in a good way to my tastes) even if you're not going to use it.

Comment

Working...
                          X