Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OLD EVH Charvels ... a couple of questions

I hope this is the right forum ...

When EVH originally modded his Charvels, did he paint them or just use a bunch of electrical tape? I've always wondered about this, since I've read the occasional post about using electrical tape to create the EVH look. And if he did just use the electrical tape, did he clear-coat them after he taped them up or did he just leave them be.

I have a couple of guitars I've added a few stickers to, and I was wondering if clear-coating on top of the stickers would work or it that would be a bad idea. One has a pinstriped spiderweb design and I was thinking of spraying some laquer over it to keep dust and hair from sticking to the edges of the pinstriping tape. Again, not sure if that's a good idea. Anywho ...
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: The OLD EVH Charvels ... a couple of questions

[ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering if clear-coating on top of the stickers would work or it that would be a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure of how this applies to guitar finishes but I know when some friends of mine clear coated (using PPG auto paint and clear) over decals on their bicycle frames, the decals formed bubbles in them under the clear coat. Eventually, they found out there are certain decals made specifically for use under a clear coat.

Comment

Well, I went ahead and gave it a try with some laquer. Came out good, I think.

Anyone know about the first question, though? Did EVH use actual tape or did he paint his early creations?
      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

They are painted. You take a black guitar, put tape on to make stripes, and paint it white. When you peel off the tape your white guitar now has black stripes.

Comment

The more common ones are painted, but he did have some electrical tape KRamers. Those were the multicolored ones. Look at the purple one third from the left, second row.

http://www.collectguitars.com/starsc...n/vanhalen.php

Comment

if you look really close at the original black and white the smaller lines are tape and later you can see that he removed these before adding the red paint

the original black and yellow was all paint

I would think the muti-colored layers of tape would just about kill off any resonance the guitar had, probably not the greates of ideas

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I would think the muti-colored layers of tape would just about kill off any resonance the guitar had, probably not the greates of ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the body is made out of basswood, does it really even matter? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X