Is EVH changing the neck specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is EVH changing the neck specs?

Something in this EVH hand striped auction was bothering me, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

EVH Auction

It finally just dawned on me, though.

Notice the pic with the dot & two arrows at the end of the fretboard? At first, I thought this was just goofy Ed writing, like he's done on many of the hand striped guitars. 23rd fret dot, ha ha.

Then I realized that's probably not what it is. I think this may be Ed marking up an instrument to provide feedback to the custom shop - he wants the little "nib" cutout at the end of the fretboard, to adjust the truss in the heel. Just like the same cutout on his Wolfgangs.

Also, notice that this particular guitar has the through-the-neck Floyd nut mounting screws. The other RBW one up for auction right now has the same. But the B&Y - and IIRC, most other EVHs - have top-mounted nuts. Wolfies are top-mounted, IIRC. Weird, huh?

I wonder if Ed is asking for changes in the neck specs. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Seems that might be the case. And, if so, that makes one wonder if EVH and Charvel are into a bigger / longer deal together than before. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Pure speculation. But interesting nonetheless. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Is EVH changing the neck specs?

Could be. It's definitely a PITA to remove the neck to adjust the rod.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yup, and I think thru-the-neck Floyd mounting bolts are THE wat to go. This "two tiny wood screw" thing is for the birds.

Comment

I've gotta disagree there, Chuck. I've seen way too many SD era J/Cs with cracks in that area. I'll take a top mounted Floyd nut any day.

And, for cripes sakes, put the rod adjustment on the head where it belongs. Then you avoid the fretbaord cutout issue entirely.

Geez, these were improvements made 20 years ago. Old school, for sure. But NOT better, IMHO.

And, between these, the basswood body, and only two springs on the trem, EVH sure has some quirky preferences. I'm reserving judgement on the neck profile until I play one. ...I suppose it's his sig guitar, though. He ought to do whatever he wants. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

"the basswood body, and only two springs on the trem, EVH sure has some quirky preferences."
          ...lol...those are my preferences too...lol...d.m.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

me too

Comment

More through-the-neck nut screws and a "23rd fret dot" again:

RBW

BW

...And a third dot at the 12th fret? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

those top mount nuts wiggle around way too much... the only guitars I had them on were my waynes, may they all r.i.p.
                through the neck is my vote. its the only way to prevent the nut from moving...
                I'd rather have the head crack or break than constantly tune...headstocks are easily fixed most of the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]...

Comment

I've never had an issue with the top mounted nuts wiggling. Tighten the screws if they come loose. Common sense huh?. I preffer the top mounted nuts as opposed to weakening the structural integrity of the headstock/neck area. Look how many time Big Red has its headstock busted off because of the thru the neck screws. Also look at how may Ibanez's have had cracks at those wholes. BTW ibanez has recently switched to the top mounting nuts. I wonder why. It is Ed's signature guitar and eh can do what he wants to it. But the truss rod adjustment at the headstock is just a much better way of doin things and it doesnt change the integrity of the neck or the body. ( not that the little divit for a truss rod wrench would change the integrity of the body it just doenst look as good.)
                  Gil

Comment

Stratheads won't have an integrity issue with thru mount floyds unless they're tiltbacks or shaved.
                    Topmounts do wiggle unless you crank on em, I just installed a couple about2 weeks ago. I just used a wood shim or a piece of plastic to give the backside something to bite into.

As far as as Ed writing or marking up the guitars..who knows, could have had a wild hair up his ass. Altho the 23rd dot thing does look like a indication for a notch.

Comment

I prefer thru the neck...old school. the reason these companies switch to top mount is to save money in production...less steps in the process.

Comment

Exactly Mike. It's cheaper for Floyd to produce an item with less hardware, and it's cheaper for the manufacturers to drill two small screws as opposed to the two big ones that have to be countersunk. That doesn't make it better for the end user.
                        The nut moves whether it's screws are tight or not. New Floyds are not as stable as old Floyds, and that's largely why.

Comment

It's also cheaper for manufacturers to make less warranty claims for cracked and broken necks. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sorry guys, I'm not buying it. IMHO any difference (which is debatable, and marginal at best) does not outweigh the risk of one of my necks going the way of a bowl of Rice Krispies. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'd prefer top mount any day of the week.

Comment

Well we had this debate over BigRed .. Fact is that the old school design made for a weak neck joint. this is a well known fact. this was more than likely the reason it was changed. I've not had one problem with the top mount styles and I'd prefer more meat on the neck than to drill trough it.
                            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I have to agree with Shreddermon and Kevin. I'll take a top mount any day and I am glad we did Big Red this way.
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X