Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP Identifying my guitar - Please!

Hi All,

I am an active reseller on Reverb and other online markets. I purchase from the largest wholesale company in the US who buys 2nds/blems and close outs from the OEMs. A few months ago I purchased a killer Charvel they had in their storage there for what they estimate to be at least 10 years. It's a Custom Shop that was painted by Mike Learn. I verified this with Mike directly through his FaceBook page. He said he'd painted about a dozen of these "Toll Keeper" designs for Charvel from 2004-2006. That story fits perfectly with what I was told. The guitar itself has a blank back plate and no serial stamped anywhere that I can see. Haven't taken the neck off. However, I do still have the build tag with a lot of info. I'll include that here for you all.

While I was originally looking to flip it, I've decided to keep it. It's never been owned before, and the story from the wholesale company is it's a custom that was ordered by a buyer who couldn't pay the balance when it was done. They sold it to my guys who held on to it and basically forgot about it in their warehouse for a good decade or so. The case was as dusty as can be, but once cleaned, it was also in brand new condition.
    Sorry for the long post here. Just hoping to get some info from the experts. Thanks, guys!

Jeff Martin
    Phoenix, AZ

PS...See the photos in the link here.

Those missing serial plates are usually seen on guitars that have been reconditioned because of a flaw of some sort.
    It's reasonably common on imports, but this may be the first I've seen it on a USA model.
    I can't think of anything more to add.

You have both the work order # and the serial number on the hang tag. You can contact Charvel support with that info and get an order sheet that will give you all of the specs and any notes regarding the build.

A lack of serial # can also indicate the instrument was a prototype or that it was built for an employee.

I have a Charvel star that was officially released in 2006. It was the prototype Star that Charvel used at Winter NAMM 2006. Serial # C7007.

But... the history of the guitar is a bit more convoluted than that. It was a prototype built in early 2005 when Charvel and Fender were finalizing licensing to allow Charvel to use the Fender style headstock. My Star was a prototype and the first Charvel built with a licensed Fender headstock. Dimebag Darrel's old lady had walked out on stage with it at Summer NAMM 2005 when the guitar was not supposed to officially exist and was quickly shepparded off stage. Mike Shannon and other builders denied the existence of the guitar... until the photos of Dime's OL on stage with the guitar emerged.

My point in that story is that even though my Star was photographed and documented on stage at Summer NAMM 2005 (June 2005), albeit accidentally; my hang tag still claims a final inspection date of November 2005. It is my understanding that the guitar had a blank neck plate at Summer NAMM 2005... as a control so that the guitar was not inadvertently sold. A guitar is not considered “manufactured” until it is stamped with a serial # so they can hold a guitar off the books by not stamping the instrument.

Your serial # is C7415. Below is a build log that includes my Star (C7007) and should have yours (C7415). But C7415 is missing from the build log. Leads me to believe that Charvel considered your guitar to be "unreleased". Probably a prototype, employee build, unclaimed order, or blemish that does not “officially” exist.

http://weber.de1.cc/charvel/7000-7499.html

Here is the listing for my actual Charvel Star: https://www.gbase.com/gear/charvel-e...ro-flames-2005

Here is a Winter NAMM 2006 video that has the my actual guitar in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6qf5lwatIk

An interesting note is that the Charvel Frenchie and Rising Sun in that NAMM video was also in limbo for licensing of the graphic art. The guy I got my Star from bought the Star, Frenchie, and Rising Sun guitars in that video. All three were still in some type of legal limbo at the time and Charvel tried to buy the guitars back from him for considerably more than he paid. He declined. I almost bought the Frenchie and the Rising Sun from him too, but decided not to.

What happened here? One of your threads disappeared then this thread has all of the replies deleted,,, except for my response which is now part of the OP? :confused:

Comment

Thanks! That really helps. And your 2006 serial corresponds perfectly to the one I have on the tag. I'll give them a call and double check on it. The blank plate makes perfect sense. The wholesale company I purchase from buys from the OEMs, so Charvel must have sold this one off when it wasn't picked up, and they bought it...I bought it. The fact that my number is missing is exactly the piece of info I needed. Thanks so much. I love forums like this. Appreciate the help!

Jeff

Comment

In thinking about this, another possibility is that this guitar could be a prototype or show guitar that was stolen from Charvel.
        Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-01-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I might be partly to blame. I Flagged one of the duplicate posts, wrote a custom message with the suggestion to the moderators to merge both topics so that all replies are contained in one combined topic, but it might have backfired and caused a loss of many replies. I know my reply is missing and I'm not sure if I have the heart to retype it.

Lesson learned for me: Don't play moderator.

Lesson to the OP: No need to post duplicate topics in multiple forum areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            I might be partly to blame. I Flagged one of the duplicate posts, wrote a custom message with the suggestion to the moderators to merge both topics so that all replies are contained in one combined topic, but it might have backfired and caused a loss of many replies. I know my reply is missing and I'm not sure if I have the heart to retype it.

Lesson learned for me: Don't play moderator.

Lesson to the OP: No need to post duplicate topics in multiple forum areas.
            That explains what happened. Thanks for satisying my curiosity NotP!

Comment

I had posted too. I figured it had something to do with the duplicate threads. It's an awesome guitar. Sucks it doesn't have the the neck plate.

Comment

I'll try to remember what I typed before my overly proactive "wannabe moderator" behavior cost us a bunch of useful replies:

1) Cool guitar! Shame it was imprisoned for so long, but glad it can see the light of day again.

2) Who is this wholesaler, and can the general public (or we forum members) also peruse their inventory in search of gems?

3) I wonder if this guitar, with lack of serialized neck plate, is indicative of being a sample/prototype for the eventual 2008-2010 Charvel USA Production Models (https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...ls-catalog-ads) given the similarities in many of the specs, except your guitar has a direct mounted pickup, Schaller tuners, and slightly different volume knob placemernt.

Comment

Hi All,

I got the FULL story on it. It was sold through a dealer. The dealer took it back a few days later for a warranty repair. They guy at Charvel told me the skunk stripe started lifting. My wholesale company bought it from Charvel in late 2006 and did the repair. How it ended up on their shelf for 13-14 years is anyone's guess, but I'm the lucky recipient of this guitar that's essentially brand new. The G & G case is in perfect condition, and the case candy poly bag is even still sealed. Now that I have the full story, I can't even think of flipping it...for now. I think it has a nice home here in my office along with the rest of my collection.

Thanks again, everyone. Really appreciate the insight!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X