Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Charvel History Repeat Itself?? (Neckplates)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Charvel History Repeat Itself?? (Neckplates)

All,

I know that everyone is anxiously awaiting the release of the new charvels with the old school neck plates. In my opinion, this is what is keeping JCFers from purchasing the 15 or so new ones at various dealers as they are all part of the first run with etched neckplates.

However, if these charvels catch on and a strong demand forms, will history repeat itself? My theory is that the JCFers of the future (say the year 2020 and beyond) will be searching frantically to own one of the first run charvels with etched plates.

I feel that the current etched run could be the equivalent of the coveted 5-digit neck plates from 1981.

Anyone buy into this theory?

SCV

Re: Will Charvel History Repeat Itself?? (Neckplates)

Nope.

The main thing that makes the original Charvels so desirable was the era in which they were around. A new breed of music was exploding and it was a very exciting time. This present day lust after those guitars reflects both the era and a desire to visit bygone times.
    While the guitars are strong enough themselves to warrant the respect today, there is nothing going on to forever link the new guitars to a special era.

Comment

Or these plates will be called as prepro or early serialized Charvels [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      Only what I can tell is we will never know.
      After 20 years, we will know.

Comment

You never know. I wonder if they were asking this question in Dec of 1981 about five digits??? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Acutally, history is repeating itself. If you notice the chaos not occurring with the Guitar Express neckplates, the etched neckplates, and the coming reissue neckplates. I hope someone is taking good notes with dates on all this stuff so that we have it stamped in stone for future generations to speculate upon and mis-interpret!
        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

"now" not "not"
          www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I hear what you are saying and the trouble is that the "etched" plates are nice but not Charvel and not special in there own right - just a copy of what is generally avaiable. My custom will come with a 3D plate (according to the work order) or it will got back.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I wonder if the GMW strat heads will now start commanding ridiculous prices and be seen in the same light as the original Charvel Strat heads.
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

With all due respect, who knows? And who cares?

For anyone who would buy a NEW guitar today, for the sake of its possible investment value decades from now: I have some stock picks for you, too. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Buy 'em because they're cool, and you want to play 'em. Not because they might (...big "might"!...) be worth more in the future.

Comment

"I wonder if the GMW strat heads will now start commanding ridiculous prices and be seen in the same light as the original Charvel Strat heads."

In a word, NO!! GMWs are the copies of the real thing. The real thing is popular more because of an era than the guitar. For what it represents.
                  Man, I hate all this silly speculation on markets and future value. Jeez, they are just guitars. Play 'em!

Comment

Agree Chuck.
                    No big deal.
                    Most of us don't buy guitars just for the values.
                    We play them.
                    If you want to invest in musical instruments, buy old Fender and Gibson.

Comment

I have played the crap out of my GMW (and the funny thing is that it does seem to get better as I play it).

Investment [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] I ordered my idea of the perfect 1 hum guitar. Who else would want that? I don't really care to tell you the truth, and it aint for sale anyhow.
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I agree with Chuck completely.

I for one can tell you that I bought the bullseye because:

* I remember how cool Charvels were back in the early eighties
                        * I could not afford one back then, no I can
                        * I remember playing the at the store and playing the only one a friend had. Talk about lust
                        * There aren't any quality cool guitars out there today incorporating graphics the way Charvel used to and it is doing today

I can figure, assume or otherwise guarantee that any of the guitars I own today will be collectable items 20 years from now. As a matter of fact they probably aren't. I believe production levels from all manufacturers today are probably higher than back in the day. Therefore the scarcity factor is not really there.
                        Guitars are plentiful just like a Sammy Sosa autograph is, as compared to a Babe Ruth autograph, where back in the Ruth era there wasn't a memorabilia market as it exists today.

I just buy them, play them, enjoy them and not think about the future too much.
                        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Guys,guys, I'm with you on this one. I don't have any GMW's. I want to buy one because I can get a crossed swords finish with a strat head. (well at least I used to be able to). And every one here says how great they play. I am not a collector, I play mine, but I would like to own a crossed swords strat head, either real Charvel or GMW and I don't want some a-hole to think I'm going to pay him $3,000.00 for a one year old guitar just cause Lee can't distribute that headstock any longer. hopefully the new headstocks will look good and the neck profiles will remain the same. then I will get one of those instead. I agree with all of you guys on this. If you want a collectable piece go find a 56 Les Paul or a Pre CBS Strat. Teh GMW is something I will play the Sh*t out of, I just love those old Warren Dimartini Graphics
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

If you want a Charvel Crossed Swords(with pointy), Easton is going to have one in stock.
                            It's on their list.
                            I think it is the same guitar we saw at Winter NAMM.
                            Just passing the information.

Comment

My 2 cents:
                              I have been having GMW guitars built for me since 2000. It started when I wanted a replica of the reverse headstock Jackson that Richie Sambora played in Living on a Prayer video in the 80s. Prior to that, I had been playing Kramers. When I got that guitar from Lee....I knew that these were the only guitars that I wanted to play going forward. I then ordered a black reverse headstock strat with like Richie's.
                              I did not know about the San Dimas replica business at that time or even that the San Dimas strat heads were so sought after. I just knew I wanted to deal with GMW for the quality, feel and sound of their work.
                              Whether or not a GMW is a replica of something else or all original to your liking, the most important fact is that you get a great playing guitar with terrific quality craftsmanship. AND the prices are reasonable.
                              Maybe the GMWs will not reach the price levels of the old Charvels, but they will definitely hold their own value as quality instruments.
                              Monte

Comment

Working...
                              X