Authority on San Dimas guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authority on San Dimas guitars

Can someone put in touch with someone who has expert knowledge on early 80s SAN Dimas charvel guitars? Someone with access to factory records on gold logo pointy necks. I'm trying to verify a factory made neck. Thanks in advance.

Easier just to post pictures.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Can I just cut to the chase? My question about a neck would require factory records be researched so can verify the originality of a particular neck. I wanna keep details off the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Comment

Don't trust us? WE are the Jackson/Charvel authority haha

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred58 View Post
          Can I just cut to the chase? My question about a neck would require factory records be researched so can verify the originality of a particular neck. I wanna keep details off the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
          This is a private forum not run by Jackson/Charvel. You'll get better responses here than anyone at J/C could give you since Fender has owned them for the past 14 years. Some employees do check in from time to time, but good luck with them helping you.
          Post a pic and someone here could most likely help you.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

FMIC, ie. Fender will not help with any kind of older Charvel/Jackson research. They lie and will tell you they do not have the records. They do have the records in some file cabinets and Tim Wilson used to reply back to you by email all the time with that info(the good ol' days before Fender).

People here are WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more knowledgeable than anyone you are going to get in touch with at FMIC Customer Service. They are clueless there and constantly give wrong information.

Comment

I know charvel and Jackson have not keep any old records. i wasted 3 days with them.

Ok here's what I need to know. I may swap some old charvel necks with a buddy. He has an early 80s pointy gold logo San Dimas maple board neck that is supposedly a factory scallop. No numbers. The neck is not with the orig body. The initials in pencil on the butt of the neck are RM. Any way to verify this is a factory scallop? Again thanks for any help.

Comment

There are more than a dozen regular participants that can verify an original neck from a fake, but not by some vague description. As for verifying a factory scallop? Without a serial number and without any visible inspection, you could have a poorly relogo'd Hondo neck ground down with an angle grinder. Seems legit.

Comment

I have owner many San Dimas pointy guitars. Without a doubt it is legit. I just need to know if any experts here know if any scalloped necks that left the factory. Also the neck is flamed maple, unusual. Is RM a known mark? I'll get some photos posted

Comment

I have owned many San Dimas pointy guitars. Without a doubt it is legit. I just need to know if any experts here know if any scalloped necks that left the factory. Also the neck is flamed maple, unusual. Is RM a known mark? I'll get some photos posted

Comment

I don't know about the Charvel guitars. But there were factory scallop Jackson guitars.
                      I don't see why they wouldn't have been a few. If you could dream it, they can build it. Wood choices too.

Comment

There are a lot of unique and one-off features found on CJs through the years. Is it factory? Without a hang tag, serial to check or a build sheet or order form, it's impossible to guarantee if it's factory. I'm fairly sure GMW or Mike Learn could scallop a factory neck and make it look factory.

Comment

The stories I've heard/read are that many old records were lost in a fire which was apparently contained to the file room.

Then there's the "acres" of file cabinets with detailed information regarding everything including old time clock cards, pages upon pages of logo designs and builder signatures, Randy's old cocktail napkin in an airtight bullet-proof glass case surrounded by lasers in the middle of a shark tank and the only way to open is a simultaneous retinal scan of Grover and rectal scan of Tim Wilson (or was it the other way?)

Then there's the "Log Book" which was appropriated by some guy from Europe whilst visiting the shop and he was left alone in the records room for 5 minutes.

Then there's the one where a truck full of file cabinets "got lost" on the way from the Glendora building to the Ontario building a scant 10 blocks over, along with a half-ton of unpaired necks, bodies, employee projects, some tinkerings of Grovers and Wayne's from Ye Olden Days, Randy's true prototype Concorde, and a half a bottle of White-Out.

Personally I wouldn't trust a scalloped neck that did not come off a body as part of a retail-sold guitar. If this came from an old "San Dimas Garage Sale", it was likely unfit for use by the shop, and despite the fantasization that owning/using such pieces transports one back in time to their misbegotten youth, it's likely a colossal waste of materials, time, and money.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have one of the necks from the "Grover/San Dimas garage sale" I got it from Chris (yogadork) a long time ago. It's fine, playable, and needed nothing. It was intialled, stamped by Mike Eldred, dated and has all the usually markings except a W/O #.

Comment

There's always this scalloped beauty in case the OP's deal doesn't work out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-CHARVEL-...sAAOSwI2xX8bli

Please note that I am being sarcastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X