Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need insight on a 1995 USA Charvel

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a Charvel San Dimas IV. The string retainer on the headstock has me worried. It is not parallel to the nut. I have never seen that before on any Jackson/Charvel. Could this be from the factory or was it adjusted afterwards? What are your thoughts?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by laurens; 10-23-2016, 06:56 AM.

Looks like that guitar's hardware may have been installed after a Friday "liquid lunch".

Seriously, someone just got sloppy with the string retainer. REAL sloppy. It shouldn't happen, but sometimes does. Make sure there are no other issues with the guitar's build. Otherwise, it just looks goofy but shouldn't cause any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      Looks like that guitar's hardware may have been installed after a Friday "liquid lunch".

Seriously, someone just got sloppy with the string retainer. REAL sloppy. It shouldn't happen, but sometimes does. Make sure there are no other issues with the guitar's build. Otherwise, it just looks goofy but shouldn't cause any issues.
      Thanks. It is hard for me to believe that this obvious mistake would pass the QC... On the other hand, we do see some wacky fretwork or string line up sometimes. The rest of the guitar is period correct, so it makes me wonder what else happend at the factory. Good tip, I need to have a closer look.

Comment

Also, see if there might be a 2 stamped into the end of the fretboard or back of the headstock. There were some factory seconds sold to dealers during this era, and were stamped as such. Some of these were perfectly fine new guitars at the time, but had to be stamped because of an insurance settlement and were sold to dealers at a discount. I used to have one, and it was a top notch guitar - nothing wrong with it.

Comment

If that's the only concern you have with the guitar, it's a do-it-yourself fix anyway.
          The guitar may even function fine as is. If the price is right, I wouldn't let this
          stop me...

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
            If that's the only concern you have with the guitar, it's a do-it-yourself fix anyway.
            The guitar may even function fine as is. If the price is right, I wouldn't let this
            stop me...
            Not sure about fixing it. You need to cover a hole in that colour. What price are these going for in the USA currently?

Comment

Worst case scenario, you move the one screw. Then plug the hole with a little wood filler and top off with a matching colored sharpie or nail polish. Should be only modestly noticeable.

I might just live with it as is, though, if the price was right.

Comment

I would leave it as is, that is so far off from square that it had to be intentional.

Comment

The only thing that would fuck with is someone's OCD.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

fine.jpg
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^
                      \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I bought the guitar! It was very dirty, but after a few hours of cleaning, this is how she looks. Very good condition too, with slight signs of use considering the age. These are such fine instruments, a real joy to play.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Love the koa! Congrats.

Comment

Wow, that is stunning! Beautiful woods.

Comment

Yeah, that really is beautiful. Congrats.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X