Is this a real Charvel USA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a real Charvel USA ?

A local guy has been trying to sell this as a San Dimas, but I have serious doubts. It has a humbucker and 2 single coils that are unmarked and a Wilkenson bridge. I've never seen one with a pickguard, but he claims this was exclusive to Sam Ash and limited to 50 per color.

Is this real? What can you tell me about this?

Looks like a san dimas traditional from 1995 ? http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...SanDimas07.jpg
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

There is a model called San Dimas. It doesn't always mean that something was built in the San Dimas factory.

Comment

+1 to mid- 90s Traditional. Great guitars, I've owned a few. The bridge and hum may not be original. Undervalued, typically go for $500 or less.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback, I don't know why it just doesn't look right to me. The screw in the headstock seems odd. The output jack is also on the face of the body instead of the edge.

Comment

I found a link for a 1996 that looks a lot like it, but it only has single coils - http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41018

Comment

Looks like a mid 90's traditional the string tree on the headstock is correct.
              Great guitars IMO and can be had for a very fair price most of the time.
              If the price is right I would buy it.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by RampantLion View Post
                I appreciate the feedback, I don't know why it just doesn't look right to me. The screw in the headstock seems odd. The output jack is also on the face of the body instead of the edge.
                I have an 86 USA Jackson soloist 1-hum with a strat input type Jack on it.

Comment

What is a good price to get it? I own everything from 2009 USA SO Cals and San Dimas Style 2s to Models 1s and and a Custom TE Telecaster, but I really wouldn't know what to offer the seller for this. Even the neck plate looks counterfeit, but I see now it is legit. So what do you guys think a guy buyer's price is? These are the actual pictures, so it seems to be well cared for.

Comment

$500.00 -$600.00 with the original case.
                    There is a lacewood one here locally and the guy has it priced at $1500.00 but its been hanging there since new.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The pickups don't look original to me. Could be good could be bad. They had Dimarzios if I remember correctly. I played a Koa with a wilkinson trem when they were new and loved it. Just go check it out and make a fair offer on it if you like it.
                      It's pronounced soops

Comment

He wants $450 and won't go any lower. I have yet to see any with a humbucker, so I am not comfortable paying $450 for it when it doesn't seem original. He also says it came with a gig bag and insists it was a limited deal with Guitar Center with 50 in each color, something I can not find anywhere. *shrugs* I'd like to add it to my collection, but the price seems too high.

Comment

$450 too high for an american made charvel.:think:

Comment

You don't see many with maple boards. Most were rosewood. To the best of my knowledge, these were all SSS. So that hum is not likely original. And, except for a catalog pic of what was possibly a prototype, I've never actually seen one with that Wilk bridge. Almost all came with a Gotoh (I think) two point trem.

Is it worth $450? If you really want the guitar and think its a keeper, I'd pay it. He's not outrageously out of the ballpark by any means, even if it is mod'd. And these guitars really are damn good. But if you are merely curious and might resell, I'd pass. You'd probably lose a hundred or more on a resale.

Comment

I'm not saying it's not worth $450, perhaps it is. I collect and don't resell any Charvels I've picked up, but I always keep in mind what I think I'd get for them if I was forced to sell. And since I didn't even believe it was real and I can't find any pictures of one with a maple board or a humbucker, I don't feel comfortable paying it. The neck plate is simply blank except an etching, looks completely counterfeit until I found an image like it online. I honestly don't even know how many guitars I own and Charvels are my favorite, but this doesn't feel right at the price. Here are some of my Charvels:

Some of my Jacksons:

Comment

Working...
                              X