New CS ideas, 1 hum or 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CS ideas, 1 hum or 2.

Help me get make a decision, I am leaning towards 1 humbucker, superD instead of 2. I have 3 other 2 hb charvels. Good call?
    750XL Cherry Sunburst
    375DX Metallic black
    Model 2 blue
    Model 2 Red
    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
    USA Slime Green San Dimas
    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
    Gibson Les Pauls
    PRS SC-250

Sure, especially if you get a snazzy graphic to fill up all that empty space!

Comment

Yeah, why not?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Although they look badass, one hum guitars are pretty limiting tone-wise. After that coolness factor wears off, I've eventually come to dislike that limiting factor and sold nearly every one hum guitar that I've ever owned.

If you already have two 2 hummers, why not consider a different PU layout? H-S is my favorite. If you like the looks of H but the tone of HH, H-S is a nice compromise between the two. And with a decent neck PU selection - like a cool rails or something similar- it can still reasonably approximate a HH-like tone. Or there's always HSS.

Bottom line, though: go with what you want, and think you'll love over the long term.

Comment

Thanks, I will think on this a bit more, just doing sonic blue, a double cream super D, Floyd 1984 non recessed bridge chrome, brass volume and strap buttons, chrome Grover tuners. I never use the neck pick ups, well very rarely.
          750XL Cherry Sunburst
          375DX Metallic black
          Model 2 blue
          Model 2 Red
          USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
          USA Slime Green San Dimas
          MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
          Gibson Les Pauls
          PRS SC-250

Comment

Titan: That guitar looks fantastic in my head and if you don't use the neck then don't get it!

Comment

If you need more tonal options for one humbucker, you can always have a tone control added or get a push/pull pot for coil splitting, or a concentric pot to have the volume/tone together on one pot.

I got my custom Carvin 7-string with only one humbucker and one volume, and the volume is push/pull for coil split which I sometimes use when playing clean, but I rarely use it.
              349_IMG_0109_1.jpg

Comment

Nice Carvin TJ!
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Thanks. It's a maple body with 5-piece mahogany/maple neck, and weighs about 9 pounds!

Comment

With my new found appreciation for Stratocasters, I've found that the using the neck pickup is freakin AWESOME and discovering it's usage on my strat has crossed over into all of my neck pickup equipped guitars as well.! I LOVE the thick, meaty tone of a neck pickup. Whether they be humbucker, single coil, or P90. I have all three and all three REALLY flavor up a guitar's tone library with their own variant of tones. By FAR my favorite is the P90 neck.
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

H/S, for some reason im not a fan of neck hums in strat like guitars.

Comment

Go for the 1 hum! If you need more tonal options, you can add a tone knob!
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I love my 1hb guitar. But it is very limited in what it can do. Especially with the electronics that were chosen.
                          I rarely use the other pickups anyhow. But they're nice to have.
                          However, as long as you have multiple pickup'd guitars, there's no reason not to treat yourself to a one pickup slammer.

I was the opposite. I had the 1hb and needed to buy more guitars in order to play other stuff.

Comment

You know ...seeing as it's a CS build, you can always opt for a neck pickup flush mounted to the face of the guitar and have it covered with a VERY thin veneer then finished however you want. If you only want it to have a volume and no tone, make it a push/pull pot wired where when ppulled, it engages the hidden neck pickup, when pushed, the bridge is on...always an option if you want a 1 hum look but tonal variety.
                            NO idea what that would cost though
                            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

There's always the piezo Floyd option too. I haven't got the slightest idea how that sounds or how you would make use of it, but it IS another pickup option for tonal variety while maintaining that 1 hum look.

Comment

Working...
                              X