Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original '83 Charvel? Is this a legit factory truss rod cutout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
    Also on a side note....Andy Cains guitars are all top notch..he is being more than fair with the no reserve auctions he has been running...just look at the factory floyd white pearl with pickguard that went for a mere $1,7xx...and the explorer strat head that went for $1,800.......those were both great buys at killer prices.....I used to own both of them..I know how great they are...

and STEVE,

here's a pic of mine for comparison...#1429
    she has the same notch. and to anyone who is looking for an old charvie know how rare they are...beggars cannot be choosers in the charvel world..and if the only issue is a notch for the truss rod..consider yourself lucky..just try and find another for sale....mine doesn't bother me at all..and i have owned quite a few.

Sigh... First of all, as I said before, I've seen killer stuff sold by Andy before. My post was not an indictment of him, nor was I saying he was being dishonest about the guitar. All I wanted to know was whether anyone had seen other straight from the factory Charvels with similar truss rod cutouts. I had not and I've seen a lot of originals over the years. I'm also quite clear how rare original Charvels are and the cutout would not cause me to avoid bidding for this one.

Steve
    Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
    My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)

Comment

the notch as voodoo pointed out is not original
      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

im suprised it didnt sell for more. $1275 is/was a great price on a legit strathead.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
          im suprised it didnt sell for more. $1275 is/was a great price on a legit strathead.

It was ended early bro..I think he was fed up with all the so called "experts" of charvel BS...
          someone scored hardcore on that strat head..
          Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 07-01-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

crickets..

Comment

In follow up to the original question.. "NO" it is not factory. It is a fairly common mod and I have it on several of mine but none are factory. In fact none pictured in this thread are factory. It does not alter the value of a Charvel for me but does for some and would have an impact on a super rare collectable as it is now modded.
              It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

yeah its amazing just how FEW Charvels are still as they were when left the factory
                www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

That is very true Tracy and I think more true for Charvels. A charvel was more likely to be tampered with as it is the hot rodders way. I agree with Rob when it comes to irreversable mods and value. A pick up change is minor but extra holes or a vintage to floyd and it is no longer irreversable and does have a big impact on value. I see what a few real unmodded have gone for (and I have paid steep as well for the few cherries I own.

Comment

Originally posted by 83SanDimas View Post
                    In follow up to the original question.. "NO" it is not factory. It is a fairly common mod and I have it on several of mine but none are factory. In fact none pictured in this thread are factory. It does not alter the value of a Charvel for me but does for some and would have an impact on a super rare collectable as it is now modded.
                    I'd rather see a small route for the truss rod...then a fractured neck/kahler mod/floyd mod/changed frets/tuners..etc....
                    i've seen more charvels that have taken a whack and lost more wood..

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
                      I'd rather see a small route for the truss rod...then a fractured neck/kahler mod/floyd mod/changed frets/tuners..etc....
                      i've seen more charvels that have taken a whack and lost more wood..
                      Who wouldn't

It is a useful mod, just not factory. I know I have made use of it on some of mine.

On that guitar I would have someone who is good with paint touch it up in red.

Comment

Working...
                      X