Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last batch Wildcard #3...a little help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try a pickup with Alnico II magnets - like a Duncan '78, Duncan RTM, or even a Custom Custom.
    You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
    You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
    --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
    --horns666 - 12/29/08
    I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
    --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Actually, one of the several Pro Mods that I owned was similarly temperamental with pickups...my usual combos didn't sound real good in it. I tried something new and different and fell in love with a new pickup in the process. The Dimarzio AT-1 Andy Timmons model. The highs are rolled back and the mids and lows more pronounced. It's a moderate output pickup that works well with a high gain amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        I've done the swap several times and experienced zero change in tone.
        Ditto. I also added brass big blocks to them all...they had a slight difference in tone and sustain...but it's nothing that's going to help what you're describing.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Look like I have a few experiments to try.

Comment

If you were a little more adventurous, I would tell you to check out Motor City Pickups. They have some outrageous specs. The Atreyu is my favorite one I played thus far (not in my guitar). But its strong output. Try Black belts maybe. They remind me alot of Seymour in how they try to match the right pickup the first time. Plus they are all over the latest Alice in Chains album.
            Just a suggestion. They are not cheap.
            An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
            A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by holycross1 View Post
              If you were a little more adventurous, I would tell you to check out Motor City Pickups. They have some outrageous specs. The Atreyu is my favorite one I played thus far (not in my guitar). But its strong output. Try Black belts maybe. They remind me alot of Seymour in how they try to match the right pickup the first time. Plus they are all over the latest Alice in Chains album.
              Just a suggestion. They are not cheap.
              I don't mind spending money if i know what I'm getting but dropping money ( $130+ ) for a pickup I've never heard before is a little more adventure that I can afford.
              Paying full pop ($1049) for a brand new Wildcard #3 recently (and some other stuff as well) has left me with a limited budget.
              I got some A5 magnets in today and I'm going to experiment with my SD Custom and see how it sounds.

Comment

It's Afweyu...Atreyu is a band...and yeah, they're killer pickups...at least look into them.

Try some dimarzios...they have a 30 day trial where you can swap for something else if you don't like it.

Comment

OK, I`m gonna do some back peddling here...

TX-Joe,
                  I`ve done a bit more noodling around unplugged with my USA So-Cal vs my USA San Dimas 2 and have found something very similar to what you have mentioned with your Wildcard#3.

I guess I really did`nt take that much notice until you mentioned it unplugged but yeah, there is a big gap there in tone unplugged... like you said, not thin but very bright!
                  I don`t see how pick-ups would greatly change this aspect however...

Comment

Try pure nickel strings instead of nickel-plated steel. They'll warm your tone up.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sandman View Post
                      OK, I`m gonna do some back peddling here...

TX-Joe,
                      I`ve done a bit more noodling around unplugged with my USA So-Cal vs my USA San Dimas 2 and have found something very similar to what you have mentioned with your Wildcard#3.

I guess I really did`nt take that much notice until you mentioned it unplugged but yeah, there is a big gap there in tone unplugged... like you said, not thin but very bright!
                      I don`t see how pick-ups would greatly change this aspect however...
                      I only have the 1 San Dimas and it's a 1H model. I assumed it would sound fairly similar or better perhaps than my So Cals since there isn't a pickguard.

After fooling with it for the last few days I've come to the conclusion that i may just go back to the JB and compensate at the amp for the tone change.

Last night I put an A5 magnet in the SD Custom and I like it but it has a little less output than the JB and more top end clarity but still a tad too bright.
                      The high output ceramic magnet p/u's (SD Dist in particular) sound muddy in the top end for me now. It used to be my go to p/u.

Did I just make a Custom 5 by switching the magnets in the Custom?

Would putting an A5 in a SD Dist make a JB?

This was a pain in ass at first but now I'm I'm having fun tinkering with this.

Still a little skiddish on trying a BK or MHD as I'm selling stuff off and saving to buy a Rivera Rock Crusher. I'm needing one in a bad way.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TX-Joe View Post
                        Did I just make a Custom 5 by switching the magnets in the Custom?

Would putting an A5 in a SD Dist make a JB?
                        Yes and yes. Try an A2 magnet, it will smooth out the highs and give it more mids, the lows may be a little looser. That will make a Custom Custom and in the JB it will be similar to the CS DeMartini.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Yes and yes. Try an A2 magnet, it will smooth out the highs and give it more mids, the lows may be a little looser. That will make a Custom Custom and in the JB it will be similar to the CS DeMartini.
                          Oops! The A5 in the SD Dist didn't work out so well.

Only one of the coils is working. Gotta open it up and see what I did wrong.

Where is a good place to order an A2 from? Stew Mac only had A5's in stock.

Comment

TX...you'll probably get quicker feedback by posting that question in the tech section...may get overlooked here

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                              TX...you'll probably get quicker feedback by posting that question in the tech section...may get overlooked here
                              Will do but I got it fixed. The tape they use on the red/white wires came off and was making contact with the plate.
                              I just used a small pc of elec tape to shield it and put it all back together.

Bingo...now I just have to drop it in the guitar.

Again, thanks to all for the great suggestions and ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by TX-Joe View Post
                                Where is a good place to order an A2 from? Stew Mac only had A5's in stock.
                                I don't remember where I bought my last ones from but here are some: http://cgi.ebay.com/Alnico-2-humbuck...item4aa6a4f9b5

Comment

Working...
                                X