Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AM I Crazy for loving Charvels & not Jackson's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Jackson's do not suck ass.....but they are not anything like the San Dimas ones...that's a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
      New Jackson's do not suck ass.....but they are not anything like the San Dimas ones...that's a fact.
      Yeah, they don't have angled necks and painted logos for one. And for another, thankfully they don't have Kahlers and mini switches. Oh, and that ridiculous heel.

Comment

And there's less chance of getting a newer Charvel/Jacksons that's been covered in skateboarding stickers.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I love & own them both ! Charvel for 80's sound and Jackson for more modern sound, and i love their pointy headstock
          Jackson SLAT-QH CSB
          Charvel SD Warren DeMartini Crossed Swords
          Jackson SL-2H LS

Comment

Jackson pointy headstock is awesome. Jackson for thrash and speed metal, Charvel for more hard rock. Thats what I've noticed when I played the two. I am a Jackson guy through and through but I really want a Model 6 in white

which is basically a Soloist lol
            Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              Yeah, they don't have angled necks and painted logos for one. And for another, thankfully they don't have Kahlers and mini switches. Oh, and that ridiculous heel.
              The heel is what sells it for me, I love the Fender block heel. There's something about a 24 fret neck through that just seems to make my playing lazy like it's too comfortable or something, anyway I love the heel & the 22 frets Fender almost got it right & Charvel just fixed what was wrong with the strat by adding jumbo frets, a perfect unfinished neck & a humbucker. Oh & a floyd & no pickgaurd......PERFECTION.

Comment

thats true .....but they all never had kahlers or toggles....just the common ones.. You gotta play a "good" one....i've had countless new and old ones...i just choose the feel and play of the old ones...

Comment

You can find a "good one" new or old, but thankfully the Kahlers and mini toggles are a lot more rare these days.

Comment

Actually for me, I'm seriously considering WD snakeskin model.

Why?
                    I'm not really a snakeskin graphic fan BUT I prefer the neck single coil and bridge humbucker configuration.

I they would just come out with a jet black guitar with no pick guard, alder body, single coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge, with a OFR, 22 frets, strat headstock. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Since that isn't gonna happen anywhere soon I'm seriously considering WD snakeskin sig model.
                    Last edited by Soap; 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I like the stainless steel frets and the wheel truss rod adjust on the WD Snakeskin. I'm not a fan of the finish though I don't think.

Comment

I like the stainless steel frets and the wheel truss rod adjust on the WD Snakeskin.
                        Yes, me too and that's another reason I'm considering it.

I haven't played one yet - as we don't have any close Jackson Charvel dealers around here.
                        Once this insane weather breaks - maybe around spring break in March I'll make a trip to the Indy area and see what they have.
                        I just want to play one first.
                        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

You can find a "good one" new or old, but thankfully the Kahlers and mini toggles are a lot more rare these days.

thats what i meant..by "just the common ones....the ones with kahlers..."
                          i like more rare ones
                          you know single hums..or dual hums....with floyds....
                          i guess i should have been more in detail...but i figured everyone knows the kahler and toggle san dimas guitars are a dime a dozen....and those ones are not the ones i play.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                            Yes, me too and that's another reason I'm considering it.

I haven't played one yet - as we don't have any close Jackson Charvel dealers around here.
                            Once this insane weather breaks - maybe around spring break in March I'll make a trip to the Indy area and see what they have.
                            I just want to play one first.
                            Yeah, I am not into pulling necks off to adjust truss rods, that's too much hassle... And stainless frets? Every guitar should come with them IMO. They are awesome!

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
                            thats what i meant..by "just the common ones....the ones with kahlers..."
                            i like more rare ones
                            you know single hums..or dual hums....with floyds....
                            i guess i should have been more in detail...but i figured everyone knows the kahler and toggle san dimas guitars are a dime a dozen....and those ones are not the ones i play.
                            Nah, I get what you're saying. I just don't agree that the old ones are always better, regardless of configuration.

Comment

For me three players made me a Jackson fan, they were Kirk Hammet, Dave Mustaine and Mille Petrozza. On the Charvel side only Vivian Campbell had any big impact on me. But since I was into the Rhoads model Jackson was the way to go. My first RR was a Charvel Avenger though. Then a white RR Proffessional neck through with black bevels. Then a custom RR1T korina. In the early nineties it seemed impossible to find any USA Charvels in Europe, I live in Sweden, so I could only judge the Japan models of wich some were extremely good and nice looking (remember the exotic models). I allways looked at as Jackson was the new Charvel and Charvel was the import Jackson. That changed with the professional series Jackson obvioulsy.

As for quality I must say I can't really tell you wich brand made the best guitar. My custom RR was something otherwordly. So totally perfect it was redicilous. Now my one and only guitar is Charvel star with V- trem. It is far from being as refined as the RR custom or even the Japan RR, but it has tons of caracter wich none of the Jacksons I owned had to the same degree. The closest to Charvel feel that I came during the nineties was a Jackson student strat with Jackson floyd and mics. That guitar never cut it for me, and the current USA Charvels are far better imho.

Now dreaming of a RR PCS and Roswell aluminium.

(typing on a small androidphone so there is alot of miss spelling I'm sure)
                              Last edited by soulquake; 02-11-2011, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by soulquake View Post
                                For me three players made me a Jackson fan, they were Kirk Hammet, Dave Mustaine and Mille Petrozza.
                                Those are great influences, dude.

Then a custom RR1T korina.
                                My custom RR was something otherwordly... So totally perfect... Now my one and only guitar is Charvel star with V- trem.
                                Aww, what happened the the custom RR?
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X