No announcement yet.

Bridge pup for So Cal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found the ToneZone to be very full and with a lot of body. Play around with the pickup height. It makes a big difference.

Comment

Thanks! Didn't even think of that, I'll give it a whirl. I think I'm gonna order a FU 37mm block and trem stopper, maybe a D-Tuna and EVH pot (knobs turns a little tight for me) as well...
      http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html

Comment

Ordered all the parts + a Duncan Custom Custom... very excited!

Comment

Originally posted by blackcloud45 View Post
          Ordered all the parts + a Duncan Custom Custom... very excited!
          To me, the Custom Custom was like turning the tone knob halfway down! Bye bye highs! You might like it though.

I'd love that '78, if you are into selling it?
          '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
          '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
          '98 PRS Custom 22
          '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Sorry, the '78 has to stay (just not in this guitar) . I have one in my 25th Anniversary SD (which is why I ordered it for my Warmoth project) and it does a very good Van Halen. In this one I was just looking for a thicker, more versatile tone...

Comment

I love the Duncan Custom Custom in my So-Cal. Slap a Pearly Gates neck model in there too, and you'll have a guitar you'll never want to put down.
              Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                To me, the Custom Custom was like turning the tone knob halfway down! Bye bye highs! You might like it though.

I'd love that '78, if you are into selling it?
                The Custom Custom should be similar to the '78, as it does EVH tones very well.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                  The VHII is a great pup. The Black Dog would be good too.
                  +1 on that, the VHII can do Cream, Sabbath, Zep, probably Crowes, too. Great pup, very dynamic, crunchy yet clear tone. Using in my San DImas bridge.
                  Custom is good, too, kind of heavy tho for Cream or Zep. Custom Custom is better for the older stuff, and good for VH. Got that one in my 5150.
                  Last edited by sandmannn69; 12-30-2010, 09:02 PM.
                  Charvel San Dimas, So Cal, WDM Swords, M4, 650XL
                  Clapton Fool SG, Fender Special Strat, EJ Strat, Baja Tele
                  Gibson R8 LP, Edwards 125/ALS LP, 98/LTC LP, Dean Z79
                  EBMM Axis, Axis SS, Luke III, Silo, Epi ES-339
                  EVH Bumblebee, Kramer 5150, Fractal Audio AX8

Comment

I liked the Duncan Custom in my so-cal. I have since replaced it with the EVH Frankenstein I like it a lot better, it pairs real well with a Pearly Gates neck. I just didn't care for the Tone Zone.

Comment

Well, it took most of the day but I got it all in yesterday! That pickguard is a motherf#@ker to take off! Pretty much had to remove the neck because of the 22nd fret overhang. The verdict?

37mm Brass Big Block - Pretty cool, seems to have more sustain. Definitely more mass than the old one. My review on this really isn't really gonna be too in depth as I changed so much stuff that it would really be hard to tell which swap is responsible for any benefits. I would do it again so I guess that's something. Is it 'magic'? I dunno, but it works for me...

Brass Trem Stopper - Very easy install, works as advertised. Two tips: 1. Make sure to leave room for the set nut to install. In other words, you may not be able to mount it flush w/ the edge of the wood as instructed in the video as the block is very close to the wood. Adam @ FU advised to set it back a little to allow for the set nut. 2. Because it mounts in the center you have to move one of the three supplied trem springs off center. This creates uneven tension from bass to treble and has to corrected via installation of a fourth spring. Two on each side in other words.

DTuna - I am not in love w/ this yet. Experiencing tuning stability issues w/ use. I believe this to be in large part due to the aforementioned spring issue. Trying to order a rfourth eplacement spring to see if it resolves the problem.

Duncan Custom Custom / Jazz pups - Waiting to try this through the half-stack w/ the band before commenting. Should be able to comment Wednesday.

EVH Volume Pot - I love this thing! Turns waaaaay easy! Reminds me of the pots in my PRS.

Comment

I think I may take the D-Tuna off. I was excited about the trem being blocked in the event of a string breaking and also to facilitate the use of the D-Tuna. However, the extra tension and the 'clunk' it makes when returning to a stop is kind of turning me off. If I back off on the trem claw screws, every time I bend it pulls the trem up (as Floyds do) and 'clunks' when it goes back. I think for the Floyd, I prefer floating w/ 3 springs...

Comment

Working...
                        X