No announcement yet.

Pro-Mod Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please do. I'd definately like to hear the other side of the story. By the time I got to the end of the book I kinda felt like it was staged...

Sorry to take this thread off topic :O)

Comment

Ok lets get it back

REAL Charvels and FAKE Charvels

Comment

To me, "made in Japan" doesn't have the negative connotations that made in China, Indonesia, or India has.

Comment

That's because you're used to it. It's like when you get the thumb first, and then they work up to the fist.

Comment

Ok Ill clear it up . Bogner has his name on the alchemist. Is that a real Bogner? No . If you say yes then trade me your shiva for this pos.
            Japanese Chravels have the "name" Charvel on it. Does that make it real? NO . Getting it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              That's because you're used to it. It's like when you get the thumb first, and then they work up to the fist.
              Rsmacker, is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
                Japanese Chravels have the "name" Charvel on it. Does that make it real? NO . Getting it yet?
                Disagree. What a snob you are for calling Japanese Charvels "fake" !

So all the Model & toothepaste axes are "fake" in your opinion?

You have a weird definition of fake....
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

BS. They're made the same way with the same machines. Only difference is a couple of hardware bits and where the machines are. If that's what you call fake, fair enough, but most people actually know what it means. These are built BY Charvel (or the Charvel brand, whatever) and as such they are not fakes.

Getting it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                    Everythings cool. I tell you what's funny, is we all keep going back and forth about where Charvels are made and what qualifies as a "real" Charvel. If we want to get technical there really hasn't been a "real" Charvel since Wayne left the plant and sold his name to Grover in the late 70's. I just got that book "What's In A Name" about Wayne Charvel and Charvel guitars. I've been reading in it alot and it really seems to me that Grover pulled the rug out from under Wayne. The more I read the more I don't care for Grover at all... I'd like to hear his version of the story just for comparison.
                    So if you wanted a "Real Charvel", would a Wayne suffice?

Comment

It does for me. $1200 + shipping March 2008. Alder, JB, Brass Trad Trem, Birdseye Maple, and Hand signed headstock. Nitro everywhere. Bad as shit.

Q: Is it "San Dimas" if its made in Sapporo? Production Model of what? Charvel San Dimas? I think not.

The people making the decisions at FMIC have no clue what a San Dimas Charvel is. Does anyone actually think they listen to Mike Shannon? Are you kidding? Does your boss' boss listen to YOU? FMIC is beancounters pure and simple. Thats why there were pro-mods and that's why they're made in Japan now. Beancounters.

The worst part is that FMIC tried so hard to convince everyone that these things are legit that it has made it's own Custom Shop Guitars relatively worthless in the 2nd hand market (unlike the real thing as the free market actually works). Recent postings prove that. No one with any sense is going to pay 2K when you can get an original for 2.5 or 3K tops (other than Brets, or similar collectors). That's why you don't devalue the brand names with budget offerings, because after while everyone figures they're ALL worth 8 bills.

Whatever. I ain't buying what Bionic was selling. If I wanted one (to collect) I'd get the USA Pro-Mod w/trad trem but that's it. As a guitar get any of them you want but I'd let the Japanese stuff die. The CS is all there should be IMHO. If Fender threatens to kill the brand because of a lack of Pro-Mod sales then they've reaped what they've sown. if they lie to people and produce inferior shit, then they've done it to themselves.

If fender doesn't want to do it right then why don't they let someone do it that will? Well, because that would compete with their products and they'd prefer Charvel and/or Jackson/Charvel to die before doing that. It's why they bought it to start with. They're just ringing whatever money they can out of it while they can.

All my opinion, but I don't see anything out there that even begins to convince me otherwise.
                      Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 10-28-2010, 04:05 PM.
                      Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                      98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                        Truth is, everyone (except FMIC) KNOWS what a "San Dimas" Charvel is..and they were made up until Grover had to send production overseas. That was damned near 25 years ago.
                        Yup! Well said '85!
                        '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                        '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                        '98 PRS Custom 22
                        '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I think it was a neat idea to bring back the old-school Stratheads as high-quality instruments ("San Dimas" or not) and slightly less neat to bring out the Production Models with 3-piece bodies and cheap hardware and even less neat to see cheap import Charvels again - especially when they're not even that cheap.

But that's just me. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            Disagree. What a snob you are for calling Japanese Charvels "fake" !

So all the Model & toothepaste axes are "fake" in your opinion?

You have a weird definition of fake....
                            No snob just saying was a bad move to go overseas. If I remember correct YOU are the one always saying where is it made when talking about products so have a look in the mirror. If there wasnt a difference then why did bionic say hurry and buy before its too late? It really started as a joke but you people seem a little tightly wound.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              toothepaste
                              Spell check in aisle one. :ROTF:
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
                                No snob just saying was a bad move to go overseas. If I remember correct YOU are the one always saying where is it made when talking about products so have a look in the mirror.
                                Only in reference to Chinese products, which I don't buy.
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X