No announcement yet.

It's old, and it's new...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, not from Ross. I got it over at Rig Talk.

It really sounds odd compared to all my strata for sure. Not sure if it's the body shape or the standard trem, although I'm sure it's a little of both. It's not as "sharp" as the strat sounds. I think it's alder, but I'll have to look into that. The neck is the reason for owning it of course. Fun times!

Comment

Congrats! Nice score. So is that a zebra RTM that's in the pics? If so, that's the only zebra one I've seen beside mine. Usually it's the standard black ones you see around.

Comment

I believe so. I haven't pulled it to verify though. No logo either! Cool...

Comment

I suggest you put that new score on a wall hanger before someone kicks the door open...
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

That's a closet...

Comment

So, someone could come out of the clo....

Never mind. Nice guitar!

Comment

Threw you a meatball on that one...

Comment

Bastard.

Sweet star!

Comment

that's awesome. I love V-trems (I don't use trems anyway, so what do I care?) and was surprised at how comfy a star body is. you leave that alone, sir!

Sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                      Amazing condition, six years old..."it's old, and it's new."

It shipped to me with a Seymour Duncan RTM (Warren Demartini sig.) in it, and an extra JB along with it too. No other mods at all. Very clean. The neck rocks, but feels just a tad less "round" in comparison to my WDM's and Pro Mods. It almost feels a bit more "finished", but it isn't. I just need to play it. The vintage trem is...vintage. Never liked them much, but oh well... It plays VERY well though, and stays in tune. The nut is cut for 9's, so that's how I'll leave it. If I ever mod it, it will be to add a Floyd...maybe even a Kahler!

The best part...I got it for less than a used Pro Mod.

Anyway, pics as promised...

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                      It can't be! Are those...pics?

Very cool star my friend...is that the one that Ross used to own?
                      Nope, not mine. I ended up trading mine for a super minty Wolfgang. Actually, its for sale right now, check the classifieds (plug!) I saw the listing on RT for the star you bought. It was listed at an insanely low price. Nice score!

Anyways... I had a EVH/ 78' pup in mine. It sounded really shrill-lmost like a pearly gates, but it had no balls. The RTM is more like an older model JB. I't really agressive and has more mids, as least that's what I remember hearing about it.

I modded my star a little bit too. I took off the regular Schaller tuners and added locking Schallers so I could dive the V-trem a little. I agree with you that the V-trem isn't that great. I would have much preferred a floyd, but for the price I picked up the star for, I'm not complaining.

I found my star on the limiting side. I only had one pup and could only abuse the trem so much before I'd lose tune. It was of great quality. I hat it when the jack is there, because if I want to play it sitting down in more of a classical position, it makes things tough. If it only had the RR style jack. I mean, I know its a reissue, but that little modern convince would have helped sooooooo much...I do really liked the belly cut (something I don't have on my LTD Gus G star).

I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                        that's awesome. I love V-trems (I don't use trems anyway, so what do I care?) and was surprised at how comfy a star body is. you leave that alone, sir!

Sully
                        They are super-comfy...who'da thunk it, huh? My last one I got from StrayCat was great too.

I'll probably leave it alone...

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                          Nope, not mine. I ended up trading mine for a super minty Wolfgang. Actually, its for sale right now, check the classifieds (plug!) I saw the listing on RT for the star you bought. It was listed at an insanely low price. Nice score!

Anyways... I had a EVH/ 78' pup in mine. It sounded really shrill-lmost like a pearly gates, but it had no balls. The RTM is more like an older model JB. I't really agressive and has more mids, as least that's what I remember hearing about it.

I modded my star a little bit too. I took off the regular Schaller tuners and added locking Schallers so I could dive the V-trem a little. I agree with you that the V-trem isn't that great. I would have much preferred a floyd, but for the price I picked up the star for, I'm not complaining.

I found my star on the limiting side. I only had one pup and could only abuse the trem so much before I'd lose tune. It was of great quality. I hat it when the jack is there, because if I want to play it sitting down in more of a classical position, it makes things tough. If it only had the RR style jack. I mean, I know its a reissue, but that little modern convince would have helped sooooooo much...I do really liked the belly cut (something I don't have on my LTD Gus G star).

I'm glad you're enjoying yours.
                          The guy I got it from said the stock pickup was pretty weak too. He tried the JB, and then went with the RTM. I have those in all my WDM Charvels. I will say it sounds very different in the Star than the strat-body WDM's.

That jack is a bit of a pain. I hit it a lot - *crackle*...

Yeah...it was a great buy. I also got a basically new JB along with it! Arguably, it was one of the best buys I've ever made. Only miss - the coffin case. Of course, when he got it from GC, they had "lost it"... Whatever...those bastards. Probably never even looked - or sold it separately.

Comment

That looks like the prototype Todd and I checked out at the Jackson booth in 04. I have pictures of it somewhere. I believe that serial # is in fact that guitar. When we checked it out they were trying to dial in the blend on the neck/headstock to get it right.
                            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

C6.jpg
                              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Cool - let me know what you find out!

Comment

Working...
                                X