No announcement yet.

value of charvel?? continued....(PICS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• value of charvel?? continued....(PICS)

ok im working out a deal with a guy for a charvel....
    his original price was 1400 now it is 2500?
    this guitar in question is a 1984 charvel strathead san dimas rising sun..

the good...has unique matching headstock..

the bad...
    has had a scallop job
    holes drilled for larger strap buttons
    kahler trem
    lots of chips bruses and scrapes

he wants to trade for a 1987 les paul custom(great shape) of mine with emgs strait up..
    i feel kinda uncomfortable about that..

what do you guys think
    honestly.....
    any feedback is appriciated

heres the guitars in question....

Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 03-22-2010, 09:27 PM.

sorry about the size
    i know its huge...i did it on tiny pic..
    the charvel is a little more beatup than it looks in this pic
    the back has some wood exposed
    i just thing it would be a good player but the scallop scares me

Comment

You're gonna trade a Gibson Les Paul Custom for that Charvel? I mean, i know there are tons more of Gibsons than there are old school Charvels, but dude you have a Les Paul custom, which looks to be in great shape and original. He increased his price when he saw you were interested. To be honest, you give off that sucker vibe. However, unless you really can't breathe without a strathead charvel, i'd let this one go or offer 1000-1200$ if his price was originally 1400 and he's trying to play smart.

Comment

thanks,
        the paul is not original because the emgs
        i just have a hard time finding original stratheads for resonable prices..
        and i want one for my collection

Comment

Depending on the originality and legitimacy of that strathead, it would really go for a lot more than 2500.

Les Pauls are a dime a dozen. I traded mine for a Dave Murray strat.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Les Pauls might be a dime a dozen...but in time, if kept in decent condition, they do hold, and eventually increase in value. Sorry...I love Charvel...I loved old Kramers, I loved just about every 80's style metal guitar out there...but they do not hold value like that...under just about any circumstances.

I have yet to see a Charvel (other than a personally owned model by a well known guitarist) go for over a couple grand...ever. Les Pauls from the 50s and 60s, depending on the year and condition, can go for upwards of 25K+...and even more in some cases. Even if they only belonged to some kid who went off to Korea or Vietnam and never came back, and just sat in some old lady's attic for 35 years.

I guess that's not to say that this may not happen with some really exclusive Charvels....only time will tell. But the Les Paul (even with the EMGs) will make you some money someday...provided you don't chop it up more...or beat the hell out of it.

I thought I would see a lot more for a Kramer Nightswan that I bought in 1989...I couldn't even get the 1000 I paid for it originally...if this is any indication. Kramer was sort of like the Charvel of the late 80s, in my opinion. I thought sure I would get more than 7 or 8 hundred...didn't happen. Looking back, considering I didn't get that much...I should've just kept it. That one I regret selling...but I know now it would never have made me the same money as an 89 Les Paul...particularly one that was kept for, say, another 20 years from now.

Anyway..this is, of course, my opinion. If anyone can show me, otherwise, I'd sure love to see a Charvel going for over 10,000. I'd be real psyched.

Todd
            Todd M

Comment

like i stated

it has added scalloped fretboard(major issue)
              and i cannot find a les paul custom for less than 2000
              Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
                thanks,
                the paul is not original because the emgs
                i just have a hard time finding original stratheads for resonable prices..
                and i want one for my collection
                Yeah but that's not a real problem. Unless the guy you sell it too is a real dumbass, pick-ups can be swapped without affecting the value too much; particularly if you kept the original pick-ups. As far as you should be concerned, you're guitar doesn't have a dumb scalloping job (Kinda cool and that varies from one guy to the next, but we can all agree that you can't really go back from there) and looks to be in a1 condition. I am sure you can find a charvel for a lot less that will play and sound exactly the way you expect this one too. I am not expert and , even though i love Charvel guitars, I'd say you should pass on this one. The internet is a big place, there is no shortage of guitars from one day to another. Just be patient and the guitar you want will show up at the price you need :P

Comment

Well your L.P.is a Norlin so that's kind of a not real desired L.P.in the collector market.
                  2 piece pancake bodied L.P's get the snub from the hard core guys.I like em' collectors don't.
                  You have a nice one tho' no doubt.
                  The Charvel is pretty sweet IF its an original.Why is the Kahler a bad thing?
                  Trade him? I wouldn't I would offer $1500 max on the Charvel.
                  Last edited by straycat; 03-20-2010, 09:44 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Don't do it. He's ripping you off in my opinion.

Do you like the scalloped fretboard? Do you like Kahlers? Do you love that graphic?

Unless you can answer a huge YES to all of those questions, wait for something else. And don't trade your Les Paul.
                    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

I agree with Rich. You've mentioned the big 3 objections twice now. Your own posts are telling you no.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

my paul is not a pancake
                        its a solid with a 3 piece top..(not sure if thats a reissue or not?)
                        norlin ended in 86...thankfully

thanks all for the advice i'll really think twice about this
                        Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 03-21-2010, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
                          Sorry...I love Charvel...I loved old Kramers, I loved just about every 80's style metal guitar out there...but they do not hold value like that...under just about any circumstances.
                          Sorry, then you know nothing about the value of San Dimas strat heads. Unmolested, these routinely go for well over $2500 and some examples pull multiples of that.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            Sorry, then you know nothing about the value of San Dimas strat heads. Unmolested, these routinely go for well over $2500 and some examples pull multiples of that.
                            True but the one mentioned has been modded so the price comes down.
                            For some reason I thought I read 78 yours is an 87 my bad you are correct then.
                            Still keep the paul.
                            Last edited by straycat; 03-21-2010, 01:37 AM.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                              There's an '82 star strathead on the 'bay right now with a bid for $3000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-1982-San...item35a7dc1ee9

Comment

Working...
                              X