No announcement yet.

Charvel quality? Thinking of buying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone. I think I may have to go for one. I hear great things about the necks, but I never played a Charvel and there are no dealers very close to me so I may have to go on faith that they are good

Originally posted by jacksonpc1 View Post
    We have sold several & everyone who has bought a Charvel has been very pleased. I own 2 & I did a few changes. I put a big brass block & a D-tuna plus setup work. Mine play & sound great! We do a complete setup & throw in SKB hardshell case with ours. If you would like to look, I have the Charvels posted on our JCFonline forum. Willoughby Music

Thanks, I sent you a PM

Comment

I hadn't heard that about adjusting the neck and mine seems fine. I'll probably put a big block and d-tuna in there (possibly thinking of a tremol-no too), and when I do I may have it professionally set up. I can tinker with my guitars just fine, but sometimes I like to have a real pro set them up for me. I lowered the action as it was a bit high, but out of the box it didn't need any radical set up changes and plays really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream And Fly View Post
        Thanks everyone. I think I may have to go for one. I hear great things about the necks, but I never played a Charvel and there are no dealers very close to me so I may have to go on faith that they are good

Thanks, I sent you a PM
        The neck is probably the best feature on the new Charvels. With the jumbo fretwire and lightly oiled, unfinished back, its the easiest playing neck in the biz, very comfortable and very fast. The duncans are very good with the alder body and the Korean floyd stays in tune. I replaced the volume pot on mine with stacked pots for a volume/tone combination knob and now its more versatile than my MM Axis SS. You could always change the pot to a 250k for less treble.
        Charvel San Dimas, So Cal, WDM Swords, M4, 650XL
        Clapton Fool SG, Fender Special Strat, EJ Strat, Baja Tele
        Gibson R8 LP, Edwards 125/ALS LP, 98/LTC LP, Dean Z79
        EBMM Axis, Axis SS, Luke III, Silo, Epi ES-339
        EVH Bumblebee, Kramer 5150, Fractal Audio AX8

Comment

Originally posted by Scream And Fly View Post
          I'm looking at buying a new Charvel San Dimas and I was wondering what the consensus is on their quality. Any issues or cheap hardware? I know it comes with a Korean Floyd but at least a German OFR is a direct fit, so no worries. I'm also looking for a guitar that has a thick, dark sound - would the San Dimas do this?
          My opinion they are very good guitars for the money. However, I think resale value is not good at all partly because there is a flood of them on the market with all the new colors and batches so keep that in mind. I just sold my SoCal, only got 550 for it.
          2011 Charvel Aqua Wildcard #4
          2011 GMW tele project
          2010 GMW strat project
          2010 Fender USA strat Highway 1
          2006 Peavey HP Special black
          2005 Peavey HP Special NAMM Guitar teal quilt
          2004 Gibson LP Classic goldtop
          1990s ESP MII Deluxe purple
          1988 Kramer Nighswan baby blue polka dot

Bugera 333Xl
          Marshall 2X12 1936 cab

Comment

I love my SD-1. Sure, I put a German Floyd on, changed out the JB for a Custom, changed a faulty volume pot, and did a complete set up after adjusting the neck.

As for a dark sounding guitar, I always want a bright, bell-like sound from a guitar. You can always darken up the amp, but you can never get a dark guitar to bite like it should!
            '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
            '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
            '98 PRS Custom 22
            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Re-sale will be pretty good in 10 years or so.You need to give it time.
              Quality wise they are top notch guitars well worth the money.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I love my So-Cal. Quality wise it's top-notch. And the prices are unbeatable. Do it
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - yesterday I ordered a flame-up SD1 from Willoughby Music. I can't wait for it to get here!

Comment

Working...
                  X