1985 San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 San Dimas

Hey...I got a blue 1985 San Dimas made charvel.....Kahler, 1hum/one volume knob/22fret maple board. How much is this thing worth approximately?
    Currently it has a Duncan JB but I also have the original pickup/pot/pickup ring.

Thanks

Send it to me and I'll give her a thorough appraisal! :idea:

Comment

Let's see some pics!! Sounds like a cool guitar, pointy headstock, I presume?
      '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
      '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
      '98 PRS Custom 22
      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Another guy fishing for his ebay listing
        How about the serial number?
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Mr 1 post per year

more like

Get da fug outta here!

Sincerely,
          Burned by bootlegger Anonymous :ROTF:
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

LOL well deserved I guess :-D

Im not sure I'm gonna sell it, but I was just curious...I've seen some go for outrageous amounts of money before all the new stuff came out over the last couple of years...was just wondering how much this is worth. I'll post pics and info tomorrow

Comment

Thanks we will be able to help you sort it all out that way.
              If you can pull the neck off and look at the info in the neck pocket and heel of the neck.Take pics of that info that is crucial to authenticating it.
              That way we can see if its original or a parts mutt.
              The pre-production and strat heads are where the bigger money is but with current prices being very low due to the economy and nobody buying their prices are a lot lower than they were 3 years ago.
              Last edited by straycat; 02-18-2010, 03:34 AM.

Comment

lol I guess it isn't a 1985 after all, the dates on it say 1986.....
                Here's a zip file with some pictures http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L4KW8VQY
                I forgot to take a picture of the neckplate but it's a san dimas one, the SN is 5349

Unrelated question, how the hell do I clean the fretboard. I've owned a shitload of guitars but never one with a maple fretboard that needed cleaning like that.

Comment

Don't clean the fretboard IMO a little bit of lemon oil and a rag will take most of the dirt off
                  Dude there is no way I'm opening that file, can you post thru Photobucket or some other way?
                  You can if its that dirty just scrape from the edges of the fret along the grain of the wood with an old credit card to get the funk off maple boards look great when they get dark.
                  Last edited by straycat; 02-18-2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

5349 is an 86.

Comment

I'm confused lol....lemon oil is what I used to use when I was a noob till I was told not to use it on maple fretboard for reasons I forget...

See if this works

http://img715.imageshack.us/g/02182010618.jpg/

Comment

I like to use naptha to clean maple. Basically the same thing as cigarette lighter fluid. Just put a little on a rag & wipe. I think most lemon oil has some naptha in it, as do most wood cleaning products. It won't hurt it, but I don't think it cleans as well.

As for a value estimate on that guitar, I think somewhere between $800 & $1000. Kahlered pointies aren't in very high demand. The maple board should help it fetch a bit more than if it were rosewood, but to get up over a grand with a pointy these days, it needs a floyd or a graphic. If you do sell it, it would probably help if you put a black dome knob on it.

Comment

Wow, that's super helpful. I remember once someone said something about lemon oil drying out fretboards....which didn't make sense to me but made me hesitate to use it anyway...

I do have some 'aged' black dome knobs lying around, along with the original pickup and pickup ring for this guitar....which is goldring/black jackson humbucker...so i'm actually not sure if it's original lol. Probably something someone did to match the big ugly knob...which is only still on there because it's nicer to use although it looks cheesy

Comment

Nice guitar

Comment

Don't clean maple fretboards. That wear and tear is the badge that it's been play and isn't a closet queen / tone turd.

But if you must, first try just breathing on it (hot steamy breath) and clean. If that doesn't work, move to naptha.

No idea of how much it would go for, but it looks cool.

Might need a better camera
                              Last edited by DonP; 02-19-2010, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X