The Charvel Twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Charvel Twins

Hey kids...about 3 weeks ago, I picked up a new San Dimas Style 2 Telly...I've already posted numerous times about how much I love this guitar. Not only that, but it's by far, the least amount I paid for a guitar in years...so that's saying something.
    So this week, I started wondering how the So Cal models (with the Dimarzios) would sound and play compared to what I have. And of course, once I get something in my head, it's all over...despite the consequences (from the fun police - my wife of course) I'm going to figure out a way to get it done.
    Yesterday, I went to the only Charvel dealer in all of NJ for the second time in a month...and for the second time in a month, I walked out with a brand new guitar...this time, it was a ferrari red Sol Cal. I couldn't wait to get home to check this thing out.
    Just like last time, I plugged in, and I heard and felt something friggin wonderful. I did, at first, experience a little problem...the volume started fading...but I think it was because I was using a really, REALLY old cable. I plugged in a new cable, and the volume problem went away. The only other problem I had with this thing is that awful plastic stuff they put over the pick-guard...I understand why they do it...but taking it off is a real pain in the ass...especially under the volume and pickup selector knobs. Other than that, it's the same great experience as the last time. Although, I will say....the strat body and Dimarzios definitely have a slightly different sound. I'm not sure how to describe it....it's almost like the So Cal is a little brighter, but not as crunchy...if that makes any sense.
    Anyway...I'm not a guitar reviewer, so I'm not even going to try and explain the differences in technical terms. But I figured I'd share my experience with these great instruments. I got two guitars for the price of one of my other guitars...and I like these two better than the guitar that cost twice as much. So I guess that's the best review I can give.
    Here's a quick picture i took with my cell phone...I'll have some much better quality pics up soon.

Todd

Todd M

If that was the Ferrari red from toms river music, yes I plays vey nicely. Glad they sold some of them. Eveytime I go there it's like thy have the same guitars plus all of each new batch.

Congrats!
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Call me crazy, but I like that Tele style with the Strat headstock. To me, it looks like a radical custom job, taking two guitars and making one shredder. Is that a bad photo, or is it a cream color?
      '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
      '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
      '98 PRS Custom 22
      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
        Call me crazy, but I like that Tele style with the Strat headstock. To me, it looks like a radical custom job, taking two guitars and making one shredder. Is that a bad photo, or is it a cream color?
        Bad photo. They are white.

I'm GASing big time to add a white style 2 to my gold one. These guitars play so friggin well.

Comment

I've got the same pair, same color - congrats! (And another pair - purple tele & white strat.)

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            If that was the Ferrari red from toms river music, yes I plays vey nicely. Glad they sold some of them. Eveytime I go there it's like thy have the same guitars plus all of each new batch.

Congrats!
            Cool man..you live down that way? I'm up in Hillsborough, but mom lives in Normandy Beach....so lately, when I head down that way, I stop by TR Music...I dig their store...and I really dig that they have Charvel guitars. It's strange to me, with Fender ownership, and a real history, that the bigger chains don't carry Charvels. I think they will start soon...what with all the hype lately. They're priced right...they have a real prestigious past, and they're great guitars...not to mention, I've been reading a lot of articles lately about them..in big magazines.

Anyway, sorry about the crappy first pic. Here's another...along with a pic of my other guitars. For the price of one Fender American Deluxe, or one Ibanez RGT320Q, I got 2 Charvels...each of which, I think I like better than the two I just mentioned. Now that's saying something.

Todd M

Comment

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
              Cool man..you live down that way?
              Nah - I pass that way on the way to the shore, and I stop by every once in a while. They have had a great sounding JCM 900 combo, but won't bargain on it, so I stop by every once in a while to say, "Ain't nobody bought this thing yet, huh?"

Best selection of Charvel ProMods I've seen.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Sent the red SoCal out to pasture...traded it for a (7th batch) Trans Kandy Gold San Dimas 1 HSS!

Todd M

Comment

Congrats man!! How do you like the HSS? I haven't managed to play one yet and kinda of like them. How does it compare sound wise to the SoCal and Telly? Thanks

Comment

Thanks bro. You know...to tell you the truth, I rarely play the neck pickup...unless I'm playing clean of course. So whether or not I got a humbucker or a couple single coil p'ups, it didn't really matter to me. The truth is, I exchanged the SoCal for this one for 2 reasons...I tend to like the Duncan pickups better than the Dimarzios (at least in these guitars), and as cheesy as it might sound, I like the way this guitar looks way better than the red guitar I had. I don't know why I picked out red to begin with...it's not me.
                    Anyway, to answer your question, I like the sound of the HSS setup. It's got a nice sound clean....and if you switch over to the humbucker while playing clean, it actually distorts a little...if that makes any sense. I noticed the single coil p'ups are very quiet...compared to the bridge pickup.
                    Lets put it this way..for me, I wouldn't not take a guitar with two humbuckers to have the HSS setup...but I wouldn't go the either way either. I think both setups sound pretty good in these San Dimas models. The HSS just gives you slightly more flexibility...if that's your thing.
                    Hope my ramblings helped a little man!

Todd
                    Todd M

Comment

Working...
                    X