How to darken my socal neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to darken my socal neck

I have a charvel socal, and even though i've been playing it alot, its still not as dark as my wolfgang's neck, which is a beautiful amber color.

I've read that peavey/ebmm used to dip their necks in tru-oil instead of brush it on, is that how they did it?

i thought truoil has no tint per se, so wondering how to get my socal neck to darken short of playign it in smoky bars for 20yrs. right now its filthy (wasn't planning on cleaning it.. ever! but curious if any of you tried to apply more oil, or perhaps some sort of oil-based tint?
    Proud endorser of:
    Steve Clayton Inc. http://www.steveclayton.com
    GLS Audio http://www.glsaudio.com
    Orange County Speaker http://www.speakerrepair.com/

just keep playing
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Shoe Polish?
      Maybe mix a couple of drops of some amber tint in some beeswax?
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by maltomario View Post
        i thought truoil has no tint per se
        I picked up a used DK2 recently and the back of the neck has a nice amber, buttery color. It's 10 years old now and looks like it sat in the case the whole time since the finish is like new. Just an observation--it probably doesn't answer your question.

Comment

Tru oil it again with your hands being a bit dirty and work the oil in by hand rubbing.
          Tru oil does have a bit of an amber color.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
            I picked up a used DK2 recently and the back of the neck has a nice amber, buttery color. It's 10 years old now and looks like it sat in the case the whole time since the finish is like new. Just an observation--it probably doesn't answer your question.
            DK2s also have a matte satin clear finish on them, just like all import Dinkies. The USA models have oiled finishes on raw wood.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              DK2s also have a matte satin clear finish on them, just like all import Dinkies. The USA models have oiled finishes on raw wood.
              So that's what that is...

Comment

i've heard you can put the neck in a tanning bed. Don't know if it works though
                This space for rent

Comment

take a poop on the neck

Comment

Originally posted by tgreensl1 View Post
                    i've heard you can put the neck in a tanning bed. Don't know if it works though
                    I was gonna say to leave it in direct sunlight...never thought of a tanning bed. UV light will yellow the wood over time.
                    I've also heard of people hanging necks in a small "smoke house", with 4-5 cigarettes burning for a few days. Brian from Kix used to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X