Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member from texas

hello all...

thanks for having me. this forum is a great wealth of info.

i'm in austin, moved down from detroit last spring. i've been playing since i was a little kid (37 now), spent most all of my adult life as a touring musician. spent the last couple years as a guitar tech. decided i liked austin better than being on the road all the time, so now i work a regular gig.

last year, i lucked into a really nice TMZ natural for a price i couldn't beat. i've always played vintage styled gibsons or fenders. this was a chance to try something different, and i've been wanting a good shredder guitar since i was 14 and i sold my old kramer.
    this guitar blew me away. i literally sold all my others, and kept only the natural. (i wasn't gigging much, mostly tech work, so i decided i'd rather have the money than the collection)

it was sold used but unplayed on ebay. the listing stated it was a winter 07 namm display guitar. i don't know about that, but it's a killer guitar for sure.

the serial # is 7749, with tmz 141 on the back of the headstock. here are a few pics.

a friend of mine has one of eddie's music man guitars from after a van hagar tour. it has a great gunked-up fingerboard. just looked really cool, like the old fenders where the lacquer on the 'board wears away and gets a cool patina.
    i dig that mine is getting there:

this guitar is definitely a sleeper. my vintage snob pals can't believe i play a charvel instead of my old les pauls or teles. then they hear it. it nails a tone i've been chasing for years.

Welcome and nice Charvel!
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Welcome and congrats on escaping from Detroit

Comment

welcome!!
        sweet charvel indeed!
        clean, simple, classy! guitars the way I like them!!!
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Beautiful body on that guitar. Welcome to the JCF!
          Scott

Comment

Hot curves, and she's blonde too

Welcome aboard!
            "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

I was curious if you use the standard trem on that,. and does it stay in tune?

Comment

i don't use the trem too much. i have all the springs screwed all the way in, so that when i do bends, the other strings don't go flat (in case i'm using open strings in conjunction, or double stop bends, etc.) also, if i break a string, the rest won't go sharp. i do use the trem a little bit, for slight pitch changes and vibrato, when finger vibrato is impractical, but most times i leave the bar off and play it like a hardtail.

i have messed with it before with the trem set up for serious whammy action, and although it's better regarding staying in tune than a stock strat bridge, it still gets out of whack. if i planned on using a lot of the bar, i'd likely try locking tuners and a graphite nut, but i like this guitar as is.

Comment

Welcome! from a UK Shredder.

That neck is very cool... I love the look of a decent worn in maple fretboard
                  www.vendetta-theband.com
                  www.atomhawk.com

Comment

thanks for that info. I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of the mahaogany music zoo models. I REALLY want a standard trem model, since I have tons of floyd rose guitars already. I've had both success AND failure with standard trems staying in tune. but they are all different models, headstock angles, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X