New Forum Member Old Charvel Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forum Member Old Charvel Fan

Hey all...cool forum. I've spent the last two nights browsing all the different threads, looking at everyone's guitars, reading reviews, etc. I've definitely found a new place to hang.

I've always had a sweet spot for Charvel guitars. I owned an older late 80s/early 90s Charvel (with the pointy headstock and Charvel logo done like the Jackson logo). To this day, I don't remember what model it was, and I still regret selling it. I got it by trading a couple crap guitars, and always thought I made out like a bandit. The only thing I didn't like was the flourescant pink color (which was so popular during the 'big 80s'). I'd love to know what happened to it...and I'd also really like to know what model it was. If anyone has any information on those particular Charvels I'd sure like to hear about them...and I'd really love to see some pics.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello...I just picked up a new San Dimas model 2 (they dropped the price, so I figured I'd pick one up). No regrets at all...it's no custom guitar..but it sure plays and sounds nice nonetheless. My only question is...and I hope someone has an answer for me because I did some searching and really am not sure if I found the right answer....these guitars come with a maple neck/fretboard. I've owned these in the past, but never really took the time to take care/maintain them. I've read various ways to clean them...everything from used drier sheets to using gunstock oil. If anyone has some info about cleaning these things, I'd appreciate the advise.

Thanks very much...I'll look forward to reading your replies. Here's a pic of my current lineup of axes...nothing overly impressive...but I'm happy...I've sold off a bunch of lesser instruments and consolidated to 5 or 6:
    06 PRS CE 22
    07 Ibanez RGT320Z Team J Craft Prestige
    08 Les Paul Standard
    09 Fender American Deluxe Strat
    09 Charvel San Dimas Model 2
    97 Takimine Acoustic/Electric

Todd M

nice collection. Welcome!

your old Charvel was an import. With some more information (specs, pickup config, inlays, etc) we should be able to pin down what model it was.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Regarding cleaning the neck, try a light rub with 0000 steal wool. Really care for these is minimal with no need for any oil or treatment. And a well broken in one is heaven.

Comment

Nice J custom. Love those guitars, but too much gizmo's on em for me. Thick laquer finish, neck-thru bodied and those nice ball end frets. I'm always afraid to play one, they feel like they should be hung with care and dusted daily. Beautiful axes. Me, I like em my age . Late 80's Ibanez guy right here. Love your collection

Comment

Nice tele! Personally, I don't think you need to do anything to the Charvel neck exept get them nice and dirty!
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks guys for all the warm welcomes, and I really appreciate your comments. I did some searching around, and I just so happened to find an old photo of some of my previous guitars...I've added this picture...not sure if it's clear enough for anyone to make anything out of it...it's the only one I have at this point...(ironically, all 3 in this pic have been sold...and of course, I regret selling the Charvel and the Kramer...never really liked that blue-burst Ibz)
            This is the best picture I can find...like I said...the logo matched a Jackson logo (the way it's written)...It wouldn't surprise me if it was an import, because I really didn't pay too much..as I said...traded a couple crappy guitars for it. The pickups said "jackson" on them if I remember correctly...and it was pink...but I had a friend strip it and paint it. Ironically, I traded it at GC for my current PRS, and they actually gave me $300 for it...which for them is a lot of money Even if it was an import, it was a pretty nice guitar, and I did enjoy playing it.

Anyway...thanks again for the replies. Thanks for the compliments...and I really appreciate the advise (regarding the neck maintenance).

I am definitely a bit of a guitar whore...I'm not one of these guys that is loyal to one brand....to me every guitar has it's own personality, sound, etc. I love each one for different reasons. If anything, the biggest surprise for me was the Fender. I never liked strats...but this thing was in the local music store used for under 800...and it's a 2009 model, mint condition...so basically it was about half price. And when I started playing it, I realized how much I love v-necks. I could go on, but I won't bore you.

Once again, I welcome any additional comments. Thanks again guys!

Todd M

Comment

welcome...loving the Polka Dot Night Swan
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

That charvel looks like a fusion deluxe, nice guitars, and welcome.
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                  That charvel looks like a fusion deluxe
                  Yes, it is. Maple necks are rare on those.

I'm loving that and the Nightswan. Too bad you sold them off.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Yes, it is. Maple necks are rare on those.

I'm loving that and the Nightswan. Too bad you sold them off.

YES...Fusion Deluxe. The minute I read that, I remembered that's what I was told it was when I bought it. Thank you!

I do kinda feel bad about selling that guitar....and I also feel bad about selling the Nightswan...that said, I sold it to put a little extra money in the bank when I was shopping around for a Les Paul. And when I play that guitar, I don't miss the Kramer at all...despite the fact that it was the first (American made) quality instrument I ever owned. My folks bought it for me for Christmas back in 89 (when I was about 15 or 16), and I've had it ever since (up until a few months ago)
                    Tell you what though....I sold it for as much as I paid for it. So no biggie. Those things just don't appreciate. They may hold value if they're in really good condition, but they aren't worth any more today than they were new.

Anyway..thanks again...you guys answered my question!

todd
                    Todd M

Comment

Working...
                    X