Fatigue crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    Also remember that not all workers in an assembly line production are unskilled laborers. You can't take a guy out of a tuna canning facility and plug him into a paint booth without considerable retraining.
    That is true, but skilled labor is still not the same as a "craftsman."

For example, though he may be "trained" and "skilled", the guy that paints your car at MAACO for $199 is not as good as the guy who paints show cars.

One is a guy who has training, some experience, and can get the job done in a manner that most customers won't bitch, especially when they only paid $199. It might even be pretty damned good!

A "craftsman" is a guy you'd pay 10x that amount, to do the exact same job, to more exacting standards. The kind of guy you'd turn loose on your restored '64 GTO.

Comment

Hey, MakeAJazzNoisehere, I used to think you were an asshole but everything you've said in this post is 100% dead on. The car painting anlogy is dead on, a skilled worker produces similar and possibly very good results almost every time but a master craftsman will produce a one of a kind work of art everytime.

Comment

Do these strap buttons have the little felt pads between them and the finish? I wouldn't think it would crack unless the felt pad wasn't there. And if it was that tight, I would also think you would strip out the hole before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemures View Post
          Hey, MakeAJazzNoisehere, I used to think you were an asshole but everything you've said in this post is 100% dead on. The car painting anlogy is dead on, a skilled worker produces similar and possibly very good results almost every time but a master craftsman will produce a one of a kind work of art everytime.
          Me being right or wrong has nothing to do with me being an asshole. I'm still an asshole, you just happen to agree with me this time.

Comment

Guys, I have to jump in and address this... there are many assumptions happening here. The truth is, I keep a close watch on complaints, defects etc... this is the first time I have heard of a crack on the upper horn of this product. The cracks are not due to lack of skill or effort. The builders who make the USA Production Models care very much about these instruments.

From time to time there is going to be a defect in materials or workmanship. We take care of those issues and we take it very seriously.

I have searched the warranty repairs and call logs to find instances of complaints and/or issues of this nature. This product is performing well above expectations in that regard. Even considering that fact, I am still headed to the Charvel builders to bring it up.

Later. Mike

Comment

Especially in light of Mike's comments here. I'll throw a +1 on this:

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
              It looks like they use an electric screw driver to install them. In the process they strip the heads.
              I checked my new Fiesta Red San Dimas last night - looked into the strap lock holes. The heads of the screws are definately manhandled. A lot of meat was taken off the screw head - what's the technical term for the part of the screw where the screwdriver inserted? Slot? Is that only for standard screws and not phillips?

Anyway - looks like they hamfisted it and stripped out most of the head on both the horn and the body. I didn't try to remove them - just eyeballed them. There's no finish cracks and the white felt does not seem overly compressed.

The screws on my first ProMod were not stripped in the same way.

FWIW - I put Dunlops on my Les Paul and stripped the head of the screw myself using a screwdriver.

EDIT - and lest we forget - Both of my ProMods are awesome fucking guitars and I love them both.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

The only way to stop a finish crack is(and you dont want to hear it) to drill by hand with the smallest drill bit you can find at the end off the crack. it relieves the stress and breaks the memory of the crack or spilt. filling the hole with clear or paint can be done afterwards.
                DK2 EERIE DESS
                KE3 CUSTOM
                KELLY PROFESSIONAL
                KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
                RR3 PRO
                BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
                KRAMER VOYAGER
                LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
                TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  Especially in light of Mike's comments here. I'll throw a +1 on this:

I checked my new Fiesta Red San Dimas last night - looked into the strap lock holes. The heads of the screws are definately manhandled. A lot of meat was taken off the screw head - what's the technical term for the part of the screw where the screwdriver inserted? Slot? Is that only for standard screws and not phillips?

Anyway - looks like they hamfisted it and stripped out most of the head on both the horn and the body. I didn't try to remove them - just eyeballed them. There's no finish cracks and the white felt does not seem overly compressed.

The screws on my first ProMod were not stripped in the same way.

FWIW - I put Dunlops on my Les Paul and stripped the head of the screw myself using a screwdriver.

EDIT - and lest we forget - Both of my ProMods are awesome fucking guitars and I love them both.
                  I had semi-stripped screws on both of mine. No finish cracks on either one.

And Mike, I'm not saying they aren't skilled or don't care. Hell I'm somewhat skilled and you can bet your ass when I'm working on a $2500 guitar that's MINE, I care a lot, and I still screw up occasionally. Shit happens.
                  Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 02-03-2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

yeah I didn't have this problem with my CT SoCal and I took the Dunlops off right away and put on Schaller Straploks (much more secure with the strap pin holder design IMO - Dunlops scare me with nothing holding the guitar up except the little pin in the hole).

no paint issues on mine.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

No issues on my 1st batch candy tangerine or my first batch black SD1 and no issues on my 6th batch polar white So Cal.

Comment

Working...
                      X