NGD!!! Newbie with new Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD!!! Newbie with new Charvel

Hey all, been lurking for a while. Just picked up this Custom Shop San Dimas today. It is un f'n believable.

Been playing Gibson Custom Shop '68 Les Paul Custom Reissues for some time now and love them....but this guitar is a completely different animal.

I know some of you guys dislike the relic'd stuff...but I am diggin' this one.

Here is a shot

I'll post more soon...but I'm gonna go play the crap of it now!!
    Last edited by plexipwrd; 01-23-2010, 12:13 AM.

awesome..nice grab...congrats
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Nice! I'm digging the reverse matching headstock!

Comment

Love it. More pics, please.

Comment

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Comment

That looks awesome. But you say it's reliced ... it's a new guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
              That looks awesome. But you say it's reliced ... it's a new guitar?
              Yes, it's new. Looks old, but it's new. Relicing was primarily done on the body and headstock. I'll post more pics later today / tonight

The more I play it, the more I like it. The tone is awesome. It's got a JB in it that I am liking. I plugged into my Marshall plexi last night. The tone is great. Like I mentioned, I've been using Les Paul's for some time now and was concerned that it would sound "thin" comparatively...but it doesn't. The sustain of notes is fantastic.

I'll tell ya, it's a lot lighter than the customs!!

Comment

Wicked sweet hey
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

That is relicing done mostly right. The only place they got overzealous was the forearm wear. Regardless of the relicing the guitar is hot.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Bastard!

That's an amazing guitar...congratulations, and much envy!

Comment

Not so into the color personally, also agree the forearm wear's a bit much...but overall one kickass score!

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments / congrats. I agree that the forearm wear is over the top but I dig it anyway.

One kind of strange thing I noticed, it appears that paint chipping / wear is done 1st then a clearcoat of some kind is applied. This is really evident in forearm wear area and the wear on the back.

Had some buzzing at the 1st fret on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings. Raised the Floyd a bit. Was setup by the dealer prior to shipment so I am not sure if I should be a little concerned?

6th string tuner was also mis-aligned. I loosened and re-centered.

Here are some more pics trying to show more detail of the relicing. BTW, I am happy to say I am not a professional photographer!

Last edited by plexipwrd; 01-23-2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Can't go wrong with yellow..killer guitar!

Comment

That IS some heavy relicing... how does that guitar feel? I figure it's supposed to feel like a 25 year old guitar that's been played to bits. Is the relicing just cosmetics or do you think it adds something to how the guitar sounds and feels?

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
                              That IS some heavy relicing... how does that guitar feel? I figure it's supposed to feel like a 25 year old guitar that's been played to bits. Is the relicing just cosmetics or do you think it adds something to how the guitar sounds and feels?
                              The neck has the edges of the fingerboard "rolled". If you look at the pic of the fretboard you can kinda see it. Not sure if this is done to the non-reliced custom shop models. Maybe someone else can chime in on that?

The rolled edges make it feel like it's been played for many years...very comfortable in the hand.

Other than that, the relicing is just cosmetic.

Comment

Working...
                              X