Comparing the USA Pro's to TMZ Naturals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing the USA Pro's to TMZ Naturals

How do the new USA Pros compare to TMZ naturals?

I have both and the necks feel very close in shape with the Natural having a flatter backshape higher up. The Mahogany Natural has a very diffrent tone and is very loud unplugged. The fit,finish and set up was also much better on the Natural. However, since my Taxi Yellow Pro Mod arrived my other guitars including the Natural have been in their cases. I played four of them and the one I kept just spoke to me. I never really cared for the JB pick up until I heard it in this guitar. It is a Tone Machine. I found with the Pro Mods that just like all production guitars you need to play several to find the Gems.

Comment

An owner would have more time than I've got, but I played a few at The Music Zoo for a little while. I didn't think they were head and shoulders above the ProMods. I did find the fit and finish to be a step above, but nothing (to me) that affects playability. PLus you get a German Floyd if that means anything to you.

Paint's not included, of course.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Having owned 4 TMZ's I am obviously partial, but I'd say not only in terms of fit and finish, but more importantly tone-wise, they are superior instruments.

For me the combination of a lightweight mahogany body (not all of them though), maple neck, the SD's and the lack of gooey poly finish make for a superior sounding instrument, and nowadays price-wise they are not much more expensive than a Pro-Mod

Comment

TMZ Nats - Made by Charvel in the Charvel CS by people with years of experience building Charvels to Charvel specs.

Production Models - Made by Charvel-trained FMIC employees (the same bunch that build USA Strats and Teles) to Charvel's specs.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Own both kinds. I like the ProMod necks better --- a bit closer to a Fender in back shape which I find more comfortable. The TMZ natural necks have a flatter back profile. Quality on both are very good. Tone is a toss-up on all of these --- both very good. To me, the OFR on the TMZs are much better, so factor that into the cost.

Comment

If you take away the subjective stuff (neck profile, tone, appearance), the TMZs are a better guitar all round. As Newc said, they're made in the Charvel CS shop, by guys who know what they're doing. The fit and finish of my TMZ is way better than the pro-mods, plus the trem is better and the bodies aren't 3 piece (or whatever the pro mods are).
              When it gets to the subjective stuff, I find the feel of the TMZ is of a much higher quality. Not in terms of neck profile, but the general fit and finish is better so the guitar feels like it was 'created' not 'constructed'.
              Don't get me wrong, the pro-mods are fine for what they are, but that's like comparing a USA std strat with a Custom Shop. Corners are cut to get the product out at the desired price point.
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
              X