Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a place to get cavity covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know of a place to get cavity covers?

I have a new production Charvel San Dimas body and need to find back cavity covers for it. Ebay is ridiculous lately with the prices. That guy who parts out new Charvels to sell the parts has got to be on drugs (I didn't get my body through him.) He is selling neck plates for $175 BIN and the cavity covers are all selling for $70-$80 each. I think that's crazy, I don't know.

I was just wondering if anyone here has maybe done a tracing of the plates and maybe selling them or knows of a place that can do it.

Thanks.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

www.fretsonthenet.com
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

+1
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        Thanks, I was already in contact with him. He said that he doesn't have any templates for the new plates and didn't elaborate any further if he was going to do them or not. I was hoping there might be another source for them.
        Guitars:
        1988 Model 2,
        RR3
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

The San Dimas backplate should fit, I would imagine.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Aren't the backplates the same on most Jackson's? They can be had new for $8-12 if they fit.
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
              Aren't the backplates the same on most Jackson's? They can be had new for $8-12 if they fit.
              I was thinking that myself. I actually tried the back plate from my Model 2 and it almost fit. Basically too short. The rounded edges matched at both ends but it's too short overall. When I put it in place, I can slide it back and forth, but like I said the two ends meet up with the cavity route of the new one on each side.
              Guitars:
              1988 Model 2,
              RR3
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

All parts has pickguard blanks. You could cut one out of one of those.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                  All parts has pickguard blanks. You could cut one out of one of those.
                  I think that's the route I will wind up going. I'm a little apprehensive doing it but I think I will give it a try. I can try using my Model 2 plate as a template for the ends and just "lengthen" it a little. Thanks.
                  Guitars:
                  1988 Model 2,
                  RR3
                  1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                  2005 SG Special

Comment

A dentist?

Comment

A pickguard blank would be too thick for the back plate. If you can get your hand on a small sheet of 1mm thick black brushed aluminium you could make yourself a good copy :P
                      THIS IS MY POST
                      Thanks for reading

Comment

The import stuff is always either too big or too small to replace the USA plates. I believe Dave (fretsonthenet) has the standard USA SD-style plates in stock, or at least has the templates. I'd find it difficult to believe Jackson isn't using the same SD routing template they've used forever on these, simply because they'd need a new die to stamp out new plates (and those dies run around $10K each).
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X