2009 Charvel So Cal or 1982 Strat head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
    What a difference a week makes huh? Brand new 2009 Charvel polar white So Cal model last Thursday.

Sounds great, plays nice. Don't forget to keep scrollling down

Then I saw some pictures of the "tortured" series Custom Shop Charvels and started thinking. I had some beat up old gold Grovers. I know old Charvels didn't have Grovers but they almost all had gold tuners. I had some brass hardware. I had an old Floyd in chrome. So yeah, the hardware doesn't match. Just like it never did in 1982-1985. This is what all our Charvels looked like. The only Floyds we could get were chrome.

I also wanted to relic the body. A guy I know does cool, amateur relic jobs on strats. He had a new belt sander. What the heck? I explained that old Charvels did not wear like vintage Fenders and I didn't want the typical forearm wear like you see on all the relic strats. Well he grabbed my body and was going to take some paint off the edge on the forearm area. First thing he's ever done with the new belt sander. So he slowly brings it down toward the belt sander....... and then it touches the belt sander. ZING ZING ZING zing zing! The belt sander had grabbed the body and and took the paint down to the wood in three spots about an inch apart right on the forearm cut. Then it made two other weird scuffs above where the bridge pickup would be. OK then buddy..... THANKS.

So I took the guitar home and spent a ton of time trying to make it look passable and salvageable. So yeah, I ended up with the typical Fender relic style forearm wear but compared to what I started with it looks ok. I actually really dig it now. George Lynch style push pull pot to switch pickups. Duncan Custom/59 Alnico 5 hybrid I modded in the bridge and Duncan SSL-5 in the neck.

What exactly is the point of "relicing" a perfectly good guitar? It looks like a piece of s--- that somebody found at the dump. The only possible explanation I can think of is that the owner of the "relic'ed" guitar is trying to give the false impression that the guitar is in such a state due to excessive use. And I'm sure they proudly tell their friends this, leaving out the part about the belt sander. Seems quite lame, but guess it's rather fashionable these days, with the popularity of the Guitar Hero games, Roadworn strats, and similar wannabe tools.
    Charvel San Dimas, So Cal, WDM Swords, M4, 650XL
    Clapton Fool SG, Fender Special Strat, EJ Strat, Baja Tele
    Gibson R8 LP, Edwards 125/ALS LP, 98/LTC LP, Dean Z79
    EBMM Axis, Axis SS, Luke III, Silo, Epi ES-339
    EVH Bumblebee, Kramer 5150, Fractal Audio AX8

Comment

Originally posted by sandmannn69 View Post
      What exactly is the point of "relicing" a perfectly good guitar? It looks like a piece of s--- that somebody found at the dump. The only possible explanation I can think of is that the owner of the "relic'ed" guitar is trying to give the false impression that the guitar is in such a state due to excessive use. And I'm sure they proudly tell their friends this, leaving out the part about the belt sander. Seems quite lame, but guess it's rather fashionable these days, with the popularity of the Guitar Hero games, Roadworn strats, and similar wannabe tools.
      Way to make friends with your first post.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I don't care for relicing either, but it's his guitar, he can do what he wants to it. Nobody's telling you that you have to do it too.
        I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Like mom said. "If you don’t have anything good to say then STFU". There are several threads that are posted on this forum about subjects that do not suit my tastes. But I don’t feel the need to post in them and berate other’s tastes.

Comment

LOL, it's 2009. Relic'd guitars have been popular for about a dozen years but call that a fad if you want. Music Zoo sells very expensive, nitro series, relic'd Custom Shop Charvels. Wildwest sells very expensive, tortured series, relic'd Custom Shop Charvels. These are about $1500-2000 more than I have into mine.

Personally, and I do think I can speak personally about this guitar because it's mine, I think it looks WAY better than what it started out like. And I think since it's my name on the receipt I can do what I want with it. You have a right to your opinion but calling this a fad like Guitar Hero and Roadworn strats seems, well, about 10-12 years too late. Hate it if you want. I dig it and can easily sell this for what I paid for it right now based on the friends who have seen it and love it. Some sick players in that group too that you might not want to call wannabe's.

Or if you want, we can settle this old west style since you're in Az. Wanna each post a video? You on your pretty guitar and me on this crap box and winner gets the other persons guitar? I can relic yours or you can take mine to the dump and finish the job. We'll let the JCF members vote on the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
              LOL, it's 2009. Relic'd guitars have been popular for about a dozen years but call that a fad if you want. Music Zoo sells very expensive, nitro series, relic'd Custom Shop Charvels. Wildwest sells very expensive, tortured series, relic'd Custom Shop Charvels. These are about $1500-2000 more than I have into mine.

Personally, and I do think I can speak personally about this guitar because it's mine, I think it looks WAY better than what it started out like. And I think since it's my name on the receipt I can do what I want with it. You have a right to your opinion but calling this a fad like Guitar Hero and Roadworn strats seems, well, about 10-12 years too late. Hate it if you want. I dig it and can easily sell this for what I paid for it right now based on the friends who have seen it and love it. Some sick players in that group too that you might not want to call wannabe's.

Or if you want, we can settle this old west style since you're in Az. Wanna each post a video? You on your pretty guitar and me on this crap box and winner gets the other persons guitar? I can relic yours or you can take mine to the dump and finish the job. We'll let the JCF members vote on the outcome.
              Sorry, dude, I play for pleasure-not fame. And my guitar(s) is not pretty, just very functional. Still doesn't make since why a beat-up guitar is more desirable than a nice, shiny one. The only good thing about a beat-up guitar is you can gig it without worrying about dinging it. You may not be one, but I tend to think most folks that buy these are posers or have too much money to waste. Here's an interesting article for your reading pleasure. Have a nice day!

http://www.gear-vault.com/relic-guitars-mojo-or-mofo/

Comment

I'm not big on the reliced guitars myself. That being said when you pay your money you can do what you want to it. I'm to poor to own new guitars. So I personally would be afraid to play a brand new guitar in fear of messing it up. I've seen alot of guitars on here since I've joined, this one included that I would have to win the lottery to aford. Point is all the power to all of them. But keep in mind you're making me jealuos,lol.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

What I do not quite understand is why this has to get personal, if you do not dig something that's one thing but making jabs at somebody is another.

Chub was up front with the story on the Internet, so not sure that he would try to pull the wool of anybody eyes suggesting that this was authentically put into this condition. Just because he decided to get creative, why do we have to pass judgment on his character.

Why pass judgment based on somebody's personal preference and assume the level of their ability.

There are constructive ways to pass along comments and not have them become personal. So I suppose I am being judgmental about being judgmental so I am guilty too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                    Like mom said. "If you don’t have anything good to say then STFU".
                    Since when has that applied here?
                    You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                    You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                    --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                    --horns666 - 12/29/08
                    I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                    --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                      Like mom said. "If you don’t have anything good to say then STFU". There are several threads that are posted on this forum about subjects that do not suit my tastes. But I don’t feel the need to post in them and berate other’s tastes.
                      Good for you. I wasn't berating anybody's tastes, just asking a question. I hope you never become a moderator.

Comment

Is that a Warmoth pickguard?

Comment

I fall into the group that doesn't like the relic'd guitars, but i do love modding guitars and you sir did an awesome job with that one . very cool.

Comment

Its still a Charvel, no matter what, its still one of the best guitars ever made.
                            "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I like it. I dont know if I would go to all that trouble with a new guitar but I like beat looking guitars that play well.

Comment

It looks like a piece of s--- that somebody found at the dump.

Seems quite lame, but guess it's rather fashionable these days, with the popularity of the Guitar Hero games, Roadworn strats, and similar wannabe tools.

I wasn't berating anybody's tastes
                                So which is is douchnozzle?

I love it Chub...killer mods...
                                Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Working...
                                X