Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Hot Rodding 101 (Mike Learn content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any time bro.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I'm keeping an eye out for deals on more Pro Mod Charvels. As soon as I find the right one, I'll be sending it off to Mike Learn for another graphic Mike is great to deal with, has good pricing, top notch work, and got it turned around really quickly!
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Very nice economical and striking mod! Congrats!
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

"Fra-6-ile"
          "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

Quick update, on Friday 12-11-09 the Mike Learn graphic'd Charvel made its public debut I played it live during one of my band's gigs. Also making its public debut was my Marshall 1959RR, the Randy Rhoads sig amp. What a nice combo that was Here is a live shot:

Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
              Quick update, on Friday 12-11-09 the Mike Learn graphic'd Charvel made its public debut I played it live during one of my band's gigs. Also making its public debut was my Marshall 1959RR, the Randy Rhoads sig amp. What a nice combo that was Here is a live shot:

killer gear.....nice work!!
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Originally posted by gtrbuyer View Post
                killer gear.....nice work!!
                Thank you I also played my Jackson Soloists that night. An Ultraviolet Burst SL2H, Interference Fireglo SL2H, and a backup purple/black Soloist from back in the day It was a fun time!
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Bitch'n Axe!
                  Did you have to put any type of coating on the pickups to get the paint to stick? I wanted an artist to paint one of my guitars and was wondering is you needed any type of coatings for special parts.

Comment

That turned out sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!
                    Well done!
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by 706AN View Post
                      Bitch'n Axe!
                      Did you have to put any type of coating on the pickups to get the paint to stick? I wanted an artist to paint one of my guitars and was wondering is you needed any type of coatings for special parts.
                      I'm not expert on paint but I'm assuming Mike Learn probably scuffed up the plastic pickup covers to make the paint stick and then painted them the same as the rest of the guitar. The pickup covers were added for the purpose of the graphic plus I can swap pickups under them without ruining the graphic. You can also paint the pickup directly but then you're stuck with that pickup. On my Charvel I used the factory installed Duncan in the neck but for the bridge I replaced it with a Bare Knuckles Painkiller
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by 706AN View Post
                        Bitch'n Axe!
                        First wipe the plastic with laquer thinner to remove mold release agent on the parts. Then red scotch brite or sand with 320-400 depending on what base color is going on it. Then use a plastic spray primer or adhesive promoter.
                        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I normally don't like graphics on a guitar, but that came out great!

Comment

Very nice indeed. awesome work!
                            http://www.guitarmaven.net

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                              First wipe the plastic with laquer thinner to remove mold release agent on the parts. Then red scotch brite or sand with 320-400 depending on what base color is going on it. Then use a plastic spray primer or adhesive promoter.

I once learned a trick for plastic was to use Jewelers rouge to polish it. Now, I don't know about whether this would work on P/U bobbins or not, but it should work very well on pickguards, etc. Never thought to try it on guitar parts. But it makes styrene really come alive to look a lot like a painted surface. Thoughts?
                              Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                              98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Working...
                              X