No announcement yet.

Charvel cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I bought my '88 American Stadnard Strat for $650. Still have that receipt. And the Jacksons at that time were $1500+. Don't remember Charvel costs then.

Comment

I bought a brand new Model 5 in 87 for about 600, I ordered a King V in 88 for about 1600 and I bought a brand new LP Custom (trans white custom colours) in 90 for 1000. I think that the 999 price point was more accurate, but I still think 1099 is reasonable for a USA Floyded Charvel. Yeah the floyds are korean, the pickguards (socal) are no frills, the fretwork is eh, but its still reasonable. Not a great deal, but reasonable.
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

my tangerine socal was $675 new in a brick and mortar store. to me that seems affordable for most people/income brackets.
        Proud endorser of:
        Steve Clayton Inc. http://www.steveclayton.com
        GLS Audio http://www.glsaudio.com
        Orange County Speaker http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Comment

I paid $1060.00 for mine but I lucked out and got a dealer rep first run candy red one(2nd one made).2 hum no pickguard,flame maple neck too.
          As far as fit and finish its the bee's knees.Fret works is perfect.
          IMO its worth every penny.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            These days, I think that price point has been established at the $1000 spot, give or take a few. Off the top of my head, the stuff wandering around that price:

- Am Std Strat, Tele
            - SG Special (lower)
            - SG Std (slightly higher)
            - Charvel ProMods

Maybe some others that I'm not aware of? I think the V and assplorer are in the same range, but they might be slightly higher than the SG std?

By way of comparison. In 92-93, I bought my SG (its a special) for $620 at Sam Ash... a day later, I realized they had charged me for a SG Standard and went back and got a $200 refund. Strats around then were $600. USA Jacksons were more than twice that.
            I bought my SG Std in Nov 1998 for $850.

So, if you look at the appreciation affect on guitars, it would appear the Gibsons have advanced in price while Charvel / Jacksons haven't.

I bought a MIM Strat new at the same time for $280 at Mars. new MIM strats are about $440 now.

Comment

According to the interwebs, "$1,099.00 in 2009 had about the same buying power as $577.65 in 1987."

I am certain that you could buy some pretty nice import-era Charvels for that price at that time.

The Pro Mods are affordable enough. I'd hate to see them made any more cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I bought my SG Std in Nov 1998 for $850.

So, if you look at the appreciation affect on guitars, it would appear the Gibsons have advanced in price while Charvel / Jacksons haven't.

I bought a MIM Strat new at the same time for $280 at Mars. new MIM strats are about $440 now.
                When your guitars sell, you havethe liberty of raising your prices.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

When your guitars sell, you havethe liberty of raising your prices.
                  LOL! I don't sell, I just buy more trailers like my hero fett

Comment

grumpy old fett.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Since Charvel. Gibson and Fender all have stripped down American made guitars who else do you all see following this model? Will all these companies expand these lines as well to grap more of the market?
                      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        LOL! I don't sell, I just buy more trailers like my hero fett
                        I didn't mean YOUR guitars. I mean the "royal" your guitars.

In the 80's and beginning of the 90's, you couldn't give Strats, SGs and Les Pauls away. They were, while not cheap, certainly affordable guitars. Then times changed and Fender and Gibson started moving a lot of volume due to players wanting more "classic" instruments. As demand increased, both companies consistantly raised their prices.

Jacksons prices remained very much the same for so long because demand decreased. In the mid-90's, you couldn't give a pointy guitar away. Only now, with demand picking back up - last 5 years or so - have Jackson prices increased in line, I beleive, with their "worth."
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, 90% of the Gibson comeback is due to Slash and everyone wanting to be just like him. I remember it happening like it was yesterday. It was so cool to have a Les Paul all of the sudden.

I mean, I do definitely give Gibson some credit for their marketing skills with the 405 different versions of the same guitar at various price points from "how can they make a decent guitar that cheap, oh, wait, I see, they *can't*" to "holy shit that's ridiculously overpriced, but it's actually a nice guitar" Les Pauls (these are not official model names.)

But Slash pretty much got the ball rolling as I remember it.

Comment

In the 80's and beginning of the 90's, you couldn't give Strats, SGs and Les Pauls away.
                            Oh I went to winter NAMM in 88, 89 and 90. I remember feeling sorry for those "old" companies

Time have changed...

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                              As far as I'm concerned, 90% of the Gibson comeback is due to Slash and everyone wanting to be just like him. I remember it happening like it was yesterday. It was so cool to have a Les Paul all of the sudden.

I mean, I do definitely give Gibson some credit for their marketing skills with the 405 different versions of the same guitar at various price points from "how can they make a decent guitar that cheap, oh, wait, I see, they *can't*" to "holy shit that's ridiculously overpriced, but it's actually a nice guitar" Les Pauls (these are not official model names.)

But Slash pretty much got the ball rolling as I remember it.
                              I can buy that. I agree totally. LP's were dead merchandise until Slash hit the scene. If he was playing a reverse explorer with a left handed strat neck on it, that would have been all the rage instead.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Not to mention the fact that in the 80's Strats/Tele's/LP's and SG's went through the bottom in both quality and the popularity.
                                Some credit Slash for the revival of the LP.
                                Fender went through a resurgence in the 90's with repro, custom shop. and American Standards.
                                Combined without a doubt with rise in popularity of nearly all Superstrat shredders.

My opinion is the last few years the market has been better than ever for most with bumps here and there. A 1099 list USA Charvie IS a good deal.
                                Compared to original San Dimas?
                                Well expect to pay now (in dollars, unadjusted) about what they cost back when they were new.

Comment

Working...
                                X