No announcement yet.

6th Batch Custom Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Although I doubt they'd ever put graphics on a production model, if they decided to do a SD1 Bullseye I'd buy it in a heartbeat even if there was a price premium over the current $1099 price (as long as it's a reasonable premium).

That said I think guitars with graphics look much better when the headstock is painted to match the theme of the graphic and it seems unlikely they'd do that.

A yelow/black tiger one wouldn't bother me either.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

• I would go for a yellow black tiger or some type of a hot rod flames too.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

• Never liked the matching headstock thing, always a turn off for me. Not sure why...

Comment

• Digging all three of these!
          DiMarzio Endorsee
          www.dimarzio.com
          Morley Endorsee
          www.morley.com
          "Intelli-Shred" author
          www.myspace.com/intellishred
          NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

• I am also not a fan of matching headstocks, not sure why either, I did the natural headstocks.

My sea sick green just arrived on tuesday. Of course i am still in the honeymoon period, but I am quite happy with the quality and feel of the guitar. one minor issue I noticed was a slight pocket between the body and the left side of the neck, nothing I am concerned about. I had considered swapping out the black hardware for chrome and the pickups for zebras, but for right now I think the color and hardware combo - in person - looks pretty darn good. Not too concerned about swapping this out in the near term.

Comment

• Originally posted by thesparkeffect View Post
              I am also not a fan of matching headstocks, not sure why either, I did the natural headstocks.

My sea sick green just arrived on tuesday. Of course i am still in the honeymoon period, but I am quite happy with the quality and feel of the guitar. one minor issue I noticed was a slight pocket between the body and the left side of the neck, nothing I am concerned about. I had considered swapping out the black hardware for chrome and the pickups for zebras, but for right now I think the color and hardware combo - in person - looks pretty darn good. Not too concerned about swapping this out in the near term.
              Cool deal, glad to hear you are digging the sea sick, it does look pretty good with black, but i want to see it in chrome/creme! Do it so I can see if I want to do it too! I am leaning back towards doing that combo with a candy blue though like my original plan was. Enjoy the sea sick, any pics yet?

Comment

• Just got my Sea Sick Green last week. Also got a box of parts including a chrome OFR, creme rings, creme Duncans, chrome knob and creme switch. I'm just waiting for the chrome grovers to complete the swap out of parts. I'll post some pics when done.

Comment

• Thank you in advance Zarl. Right now it is hard for me to justify the cost of the upgrade, of course I could offset this a bit by reselling the stock parts, but I usually like to keep hardware for future projects. So..if the pictures are sexy enough, I would find a way to justify! Curious, where did you get your double cream duncans from? For some reason I have been only able to find black or zebra. Thanks.

Comment

• I am making my switch with a complete Candy Blue guitar and putting the black hardware on the Polar White and selling the Polar on eBay. I think I might actually make money on that deal.

And yeah, where did you find all creme SD?

Comment

Thank you in advance Zarl. Right now it is hard for me to justify the cost of the upgrade, of course I could offset this a bit by reselling the stock parts, but I usually like to keep hardware for future projects. So..if the pictures are sexy enough, I would find a way to justify! Curious, where did you get your double cream duncans from? For some reason I have been only able to find black or zebra. Thanks.
                      I'm dropping in a set of creme Seymour Duncan P-Rails so I can get single coil, P-90, and humbucker tones. I'm doing a push-pull neck/bridge pickup selector on the volume pot --- I think SD calls this the "George Lynch" wiring. I'm then going to wire the toggle switch for the humbucker/single/P90 selection. That way I'll retain the factory look in case I decide to change things up again. Duncan sent me the P-Rails in a creme color --- I don't think they do creme on other pickup models though. I was going to drop the P-Rails into a Les Paul Standard, and then use the Gibson black/creme humbuckers from the Les Paul in the Charvel. Still may do that, but I'd like to have the tone options in that new Charvel. We'll see.....

Costwise, I picked up the Charvel, the OFR, grovers, creme rings, and electronics for under $1100 --- I had the pickups already, and this doesn't factor in selling off any spare parts.

Another option to shave costs would be to use a "Floyd Rose Special." It's the same Korean made bridge as the Floyd on the Charvel ProMod with the zinc blocks, etc. They're just stamped "Floyd Rose Special" on the plate, kind of like the OFRs in the early 90's stamped "Floyd Rose Original." A few online vendors are selling them for $75 or so including the R3 nut, all in chrome. I've tried them in person and they look and feel identical to the ones on our Charvels.

Comment

Thank you in advance Zarl. Right now it is hard for me to justify the cost of the upgrade, of course I could offset this a bit by reselling the stock parts, but I usually like to keep hardware for future projects. So..if the pictures are sexy enough, I would find a way to justify! Curious, where did you get your double cream duncans from? For some reason I have been only able to find black or zebra. Thanks.
                        Here's the guitar that's inspiring me to switch it up to creme and chrome. Color isn't exactly the same, but you get the general idea of what a Sea Sick Green will look like after the change.

Comment

• Originally posted by zarl View Post
                          Another option to shave costs would be to use a "Floyd Rose Special." It's the same Korean made bridge as the Floyd on the Charvel ProMod with the zinc blocks, etc. They're just stamped "Floyd Rose Special" on the plate, kind of like the OFRs in the early 90's stamped "Floyd Rose Original." A few online vendors are selling them for $75 or so including the R3 nut, all in chrome. I've tried them in person and they look and feel identical to the ones on our Charvels.
                          FYI: The Floyd Rose Special is not the same as the Floyd Rose that's in the current Charvel Production Models. The ones with "Special" stamped on them are made more cheaply. There's information on that in other threads on this forum.
                          Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                            FYI: The Floyd Rose Special is not the same as the Floyd Rose that's in the current Charvel Production Models. The ones with "Special" stamped on them are made more cheaply. There's information on that in other threads on this forum.
                            Could you point me to that thread? The Specials have the same rear beveled zinc saddles, and the specs on them show a hardened steel plate and painted block. The screw in trem bars have that same "loose" feel. Both feel cheaper than the German OFR, but are both decent trems. I would just keep it on the Charvel it were chrome.

Here's a thread on another forum about the Specials. The vendor weighs in on the discussion too:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/fl...pot-83170.html
                            Last edited by zarl; 10-19-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Here's one thread on the FR confusion: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97251

And I think there was some mention on this long thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90264

I don't know how to describe the technical differences, but I have seen a Floyd Rose Special on an ESP guitar in person and it is very different than the one on the Charvel Production models.

The one on the production models could pass for an OFR if you don't know what to look for, but the Floyd Rose Special is very obviously cosmetically different and not to the same level of quality.
                              Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                                Here's one thread on the FR confusion: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97251

And I think there was some mention on this long thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90264

I don't know how to describe the technical differences, but I have seen a Floyd Rose Special on an ESP guitar in person and it is very different than the one on the Charvel Production models.

The one on the production models could pass for an OFR if you don't know what to look for, but the Floyd Rose Special is very obviously cosmetically different and not to the same level of quality.
                                You may be right on that -- I'm not really "in the know" on this topic. But, to me, they appear to be very similar cosmetically, and the specs with the use of zinc saddles and blocks seem to be consistent. Check out this one in black:

Aside from the obvious "Floyd Rose Special" stamping, I think it would be hard to spot the differences.

Comment

Working...
                                X