Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be careful changing straplocks on USA Production Models!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that it is going to help your problem but I have learned that most strap screws will loosen and started dipping the screw in super glue then replacing and the thing will not loosen after that,

when the screw is very loose i have also added pieces of toothpicks to take up the extra space and then added super glue.

Comment

Originally posted by neuroop View Post
      Not that it is going to help your problem but I have learned that most strap screws will loosen and started dipping the screw in super glue then replacing and the thing will not loosen after that,

when the screw is very loose i have also added pieces of toothpicks to take up the extra space and then added super glue.
      Never done the super glue thing, but I've used toothpics and wood glue for 15 years or so! As a matter-of-fact, I have had to do that on this Charvel too. It's unrelated to the paint chipping, though.

Comment

They are tightening the strap pins too much at the factory. I have had 2 pro mods that I returned because of cracks at the strap pin. The second one, I removed the pin on the side of the body and the finish just flaked away. You could tell that the screw heads were nearly stripped and barely resembled a phillips head screw. I noticed this before I remove them so it was not me that damaged them.

Comment

I put some Dimarzio cliplocks on mine with no problems.

Comment

That is heartbreaking!

Sorry to see this.

Any possible way to do a spot repair on the finish, or would you need to redo the entire body?

Maybe some refinishing experts can chime in?

Cheers,
            Chris

Comment

This may go back to the problem when they started the production models. I don't think all the guitars were completely dry before they put the hardware on. I had to take a razor blade and small screw driver to get a couple of my back plates off. The clear probably dried around the screw and when you took it off it cracked.
              "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
              I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                They are tightening the strap pins too much at the factory. I have had 2 pro mods that I returned because of cracks at the strap pin. The second one, I removed the pin on the side of the body and the finish just flaked away. You could tell that the screw heads were nearly stripped and barely resembled a phillips head screw. I noticed this before I remove them so it was not me that damaged them.
                Wow, ya know what? Mine was the same way with the stripped screw heads on the stock strap pins! I forgot about that. I noticed that too and it was quite difficult getting them off. Very interesting.

Comment

They should just give the factory guys the day off on Friday and Monday...

... but then we'd have shitty Tuesday and Thursday guitars!
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

They already have all production shut down every Friday, even the CS. I know, I was just there a couple weeks ago. In addition it seems that the Pro Mods along with the economy has put a serious dent in the CS Charvel orders.

Comment

Well this whole paint thing does kinda irritate me, but not enough to where I don't enjoy the guitar. Heck, I may even enjoy it more, since I'm not worried about any damage at all now.

I've been using it at gigs quite a bit and it's settling in nicely.

Comment

Treat it as a battle scar!

Comment

Ya know, now I'm wondering about the stripped screw heads on the stock strap buttons. How could they strip the screwheads without cracking the paint like I did when I installed new strap buttons?

Comment

That's why I never bothered to upgrade to straplocks on my SL2HT. For that one guitar, I have permanently assigned a leather strap and use these... http://cgi.ebay.com/Fast-FREE-USA-Sh...d=p3286.c0.m14
                            Sam

Comment

If you removed Dunlops and installed Schallers the screw would have been a bit smaller not larger. If you just grabbed the screws from the parts bin, its possible that not only did you use a larger screw but perhaps longer as well. The longer screw could bottom out in the original hole as you're basically trying to self tap it. Just guessing here.
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                                That's why I never bothered to upgrade to straplocks on my SL2HT. For that one guitar, I have permanently assigned a leather strap and use these... http://cgi.ebay.com/Fast-FREE-USA-Sh...d=p3286.c0.m14
                                I did that for a few gigs, then decided to put on the straplocks that match every other guitar I own. Guess that was a bad idea? LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X