Rocky georges gear past+present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky georges gear past+present

Rocky george is a great and very often overlooked METAL guitarist.
    He had/has a great tone doesent he use EMG loaded IBANEZ's(emg 81 or 85 in the bridge?) and MESA amps(which model mesa?) someone please post the dope on his gear thanx in advance!
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

is their a particular album's sound you were after?
    The main constant in his set up is the Ibanez RockyGeorge(RG) guitars different pups and amp types on different albums.
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Cool..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2RskJVFUoQ

I think he was a JCM800 2210, then switched to a Recto when those came out.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
        is their a particular album's sound you were after?
        The main constant in his set up is the Ibanez RockyGeorge(RG) guitars different pups and amp types on different albums.
        well i like ALL of his tones but being a huge MESA + EMG user i guess i would most like to know about which of those he used through the years?
        Last edited by savage; 05-02-2009, 11:05 AM.
        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

RG 550 (?) into a Recto. His early recorded tones, like it that video sounds exactly like my Marshall...sustain, tone, everything..

It helps to be Rocky tho...it's in the hands.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

RG is a monster. I wore out those early ST records.

Trivia! There is a tie-in with RG and the "Six Degrees of Dave Mustaine" (the phenomenon that any musician can be linked to a feud with Dave Mustaine in six steps).

1) RG's former bandmate Mike Muir had a feud with Dave on the Clash of the Titans tour.

Ha! That only took one step.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
              The main constant in his set up is the Ibanez RockyGeorge(RG) guitars
              Is that what the RG Ibanez guitars stand for; Rocky George? Never knew that. That guy's indeed a monster player, always loved him!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Is that what the RG Ibanez guitars stand for; Rocky George? Never knew that. That guy's indeed a monster player, always loved him!
                No - RG does not stand for Rocky George. The "RG" moniker was around long before the pointy RG's came out. The RG was originally an evolution of the Roadstar/Blazer line - apparently it was short for "Roadstar Guitar." It was really designed in concert with Steve Vai - the JEM came out first, followed by the RG as the "regular" version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_RG
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Ah, okay. I didn't think the RG was for Rocky George. I guess Jayster's on the hooch again.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So he used recto's and i read elsewhere he used CRATE amps? Wow!
                    Did RG use a EMG 81 or 85 in the ibanez?

Comment

Funny, though... when I listen to Tendencies, I mostly think they had a very generic shred tone. I mean, nothing against the guy technically, and I love Tendencies - I always felt that Rocky noodled a lot. I mean A LOT. Still, love Tendencies.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Rocky George is the only guy besides Vai who made an RG shaped guitar look cool. I think he used a TriAxis preamp. "I'd rather feel like s#*t than be full of s#*t." I always dug that band, we did a mean version of "Possessed To Skate" for an encore after our set.

Comment

I saw ST this year and they really miss RG, the new guitarist had Hammetitist...couldn't stay off the wah...annoying. The bass player had some serious shoes to fill and didn't quite make it.
                          Last edited by Partial @ Marshall; 05-04-2009, 11:45 PM.
                          www.JerryRobison.com
                          '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            Funny, though... when I listen to Tendencies, I mostly think they had a very generic shred tone. I mean, nothing against the guy technically, and I love Tendencies - I always felt that Rocky noodled a lot. I mean A LOT. Still, love Tendencies.
                            Same here, he's a great player and I love ST, but wouldn't say he had a distinctive tone.

Someone gave me a demo of some new stuff he had done - it was shit!
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
                              Rocky George is the only guy besides Vai who made an RG shaped guitar look cool. I think he used a TriAxis preamp. "I'd rather feel like s#*t than be full of s#*t." I always dug that band, we did a mean version of "Possessed To Skate" for an encore after our set.
                              Yeah...but there's many players that used RGs/ Jems and whatnot that rocked the fuck out..too much to list really, but Harry Cody comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X