• Show
Clear All

• Disturbed concert review

Just a quick review. On Tuesday I saw
    Chimeira
    Lacuna Coil
    Killswitch Engage
    Disturbed.

Here is a very breif review of the show...

Chimeira has an outstanding drummer.
    Lacuna Coil has an outstanding hot singer, really good songs including the new ones.. and I can't figure out why they have a guy singer in the band too.
    Killswitch Engage had incredible guitar sound, and that 6'5" guitar player in the shorts and cap who looks like he is in Blink 182 is extremely fun to watch live. I read that he is the real brains of the band. They seem like down to earth normal guys from Mass and CT. Again.. great guitar sound and Howard is an outstanding singer.
    Disturbed has so many great songs it was like a greatest hits concert. The singer is amazing. He hit every note and was clear as a bell. His vocal mix was very hot with virtually no effects on it at all. Overall tone of the band wasn't the greatest though. Lead guitar solo tone was VERY good. Some of his guitars sounded better than others for some reason.

Personally.. I thought that KSE was the best of the night. Again.. they look like a bunch of normal guys up on stage ripping it up.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    Lacuna Coil has an outstanding hot singer, really good songs including the new ones.. and I can't figure out why they have a guy singer in the band too.
    Saw them for the first time at Soundwave in Feb. Cristina was very good. The whole band was, but the set was cut short because of technical delays getting the band onstage. And yea, the dude singer is a waste of space.
    Killswitch Engage had incredible guitar sound, and that 6'5" guitar player in the shorts and cap who looks like he is in Blink 182 is extremely fun to watch live. I read that he is the real brains of the band. They seem like down to earth normal guys from Mass and CT. Again.. great guitar sound and Howard is an outstanding singer.
    Adam D is the brains of the operation. Used to be the drummer. Plus he runs around like a nut onstage & wears a cape too! He produces the band and does a lot of production for other bands. They put on a good stage & Howard is an ox!
    Disturbed has so many great songs it was like a greatest hits concert. The singer is amazing. He hit every note and was clear as a bell. His vocal mix was very hot with virtually no effects on it at all. Overall tone of the band wasn't the greatest though. Lead guitar solo tone was VERY good. Some of his guitars sounded better than others for some reason.
    Have a few Disturbed albums & wanted to see them when they last toured here. And then I found out they were opening for Korn.... :think:

Still want to see them though
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Chimeira has an outstanding drummer.

I was in a side project with Kenny Jr, I don't know if he's still playing with them. But he's about 20 years old about now. John and I know both him and his father very well.

I jammed with him for a while at my place and had a blast. He was showing my son some things and thought he was pretty good for his age. But he was a monster player at a very young age himself..very well known here in many bands at one time. I also believe the drummer of Soilwork joined that band at one time too..so I really don't know which drummer you saw. I really don't care for their music at all, but their drummers were always incredible.

Never was a Disturbed fan, even tho ALOT of people said I looked like that singer when they first came out. I like the singer..he's got a great voice..just don't care for their style. They're NU...not my thing. I can see the attraction tho. They do write "catchy" songs..but it's just not metal. I am a metalhead..and that is the reason.

I was always a fan of Lucuna Coil, I can do without her dude's singing..but that's when female bands were just breaking out 10+ years ago. Christina Scabbia , who kinda resembles my wife was very inspired by Anneke of The Gathering. She is awesome (The best IMO, and hers). I was a bit disappointed when they changed their style with their mainstream popularity. They gravitated to Evervescence, which to me is Disturbed with a female singer..again "NU"..at the time I was listening to MUCH better bands. Again, ..it's a metalhead thing.

KSE..OK, I bought ALL of their stuff and traded them off. They are NOT a bad band at all but they are a watered down, carbon copy of the stuff I was always a fan of. I much rather listen to the "Real Deal"..the bands that inspired them as well as me and thousands of others. I wanted to turn you onto those bands in that other thread in cw Sonic Syndicate. I'll do that sometime..I want to. I watched this whole thing evolved from the very start since the early 90's..it's an ongoing obsession of mine. With over 5000 metal cds , that's prolly obvious..

KSE did step it up on their most recent efforts and got much more "Old school", but I'm from that school. They have pretty nice guitar tones, and gear..Thanks to Soilwork, and alot of Swedish bands that influenced them. Many Swedes such as Arch Enemy, Soilwork and ect use Comparison guitars...they were the first american band ever I saw use those guitars some years ago. That was the very first thing I noticed, and they ALWAYS give props to their influences which I think is very cool. I like when bands do that. They have my respect...but I'm not a fan.

Good review there John. I'm glad you had a good time. It would be cool to hang out with you fuckers..I promise I'll spill beer all over you guys...just ask John. That ALWAYS happens. I can't help it..I'm Italian and I talk with my hands...and booooom there goes the beer!
      Last edited by horns666; 04-24-2009, 12:46 AM.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Andols is such a great drummer. Musically literate and so great!

Adam D is a freakin' nut and crazy talented. all those KsE dudes are. Killer producer, guitarist, drummer, singer, and everything. He went to Berklee for recording and bass (upright!) and graduated, and Joel went for guitar, but only for a semester. All of them great, and have a lot of friends in the metal community and spread the love. Love those dudes.

very cool. Thanks for the review, John!

Comment

Richard Evensand of Chimaira, Soilwork, and Therion is on the new Lions Share..check it out. Mike Romeo is guest on this as well...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFyXP...eature=related..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xugAB...eature=related
          Last edited by horns666; 04-24-2009, 11:02 AM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yea.. I could just see the talent pouring out of KSE. It was obvious musician to musician that they are a very talented band and that Adam runs the show.
            The drummer in Chimiera didn't look that young. Whoever he is.. he is a fantastic drummer. BTW.. the drummer in KSE has an outstanding looking drum kit.

Comment

outstanding looking kit? Justin (from KSE) usually uses just a black Yamaha kit. Did he use a different one this tour?

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged View Post
                outstanding looking kit? Justin (from KSE) usually uses just a black Yamaha kit. Did he use a different one this tour?

It was gold and extremely "blingy". It was a very nice rack system with a ton of very highly polished cymbles

Comment

I've seen all of them except for Chimeira, and I think my experiences were similar in all cases. I was front row for Lacuna Coil, and Christina's ass is just unbelievable. She can really sing too. I've seen Disturbed a couple of times, and they were fantastic both times. Dan Donegan is a highly underrated player, and David Draiman is a great frontman. He really commands your attention. I've also seen KSE a couple of times, and yeah they're pretty much known for always having a KILLER guitar sound. I like them alot. I like their songwriting, and Howard is one of the few current singers who has any talent at all. I don't care too much for Adam's stage antics, but hey if that's his thing...whatever.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I just saw that same lineup without Disturbed at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach. KSE was really on top of there game. It was so WTF seeing Adam D in a tutu ("I am princess man") playing a Parker fly getting that enormous brutal tone.
                    http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Working...
                    X