Glam bands gone Goth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glam bands gone Goth?

I don't know if many of you were into the glam scene of the 80's, but as i've been going through some of those bands and seeing what they're doing now, why does it seem like they've all turned creeper?

Lizzy Borden and Faster Pussycat being two of them that has gone so extreme, it's like they're chasing Manson's image.

Is this the extreme of what glam could be?

http://www.lizzyborden.com/lizzyborden-pictures.htm

http://fasterpussycat.com/

Poison and Ratt don't look like this. What's up with these guys?

Lizzy Borden has always had a pretty creepy image, but my guess is that most of these guys can't get past the whole image over content thing and since glam is pretty much history, they had to go somewhere so goth was the next logical step.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

OMG, I was a fan of some of LB's early stuff and even managed to see them at a few small clubs back in the day. They were always theatrical but almost always it was done in a humorous way. They almost seemed like a spoof on Alice Cooper and Kiss to me but maybe they took it serious. Certainly seems more serious now.

Comment

Have you heard the Faster pussycat stuff, the way they have erm, "improved" some old tracks? They sound like the Pet Shop Boys on crack. (And I don't mean arse crack either)

Utter shite.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Later'd. Totally lame.

Comment

Was this any better??...

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Just a gimmick. Just like it was in the 80's.
              Originally posted by horns666
              The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

The faster pussycat stuff doesn't sound any different then their 80's stuff , only the visual has changed (and for the worst.. whats with the fake nazi wear on the opening page... lame)
                In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Well bands like Lizzy are getting up there with age..so hiding behind makeup and costumes seems to allow these bands to appear young..or appealing to the young. Especially in any metal genres..

Yeah..it's a gimmick of course..everyone has to look the part to some degree. It's pretty universal and popular at the moment.

That's why I connect with bands like Nevermore. I'll be drinking with them at the bar..then they're up there playing. No costumes..You can look metal without getting ridiculous.
                  Last edited by horns666; 04-23-2009, 11:36 PM.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                    The faster pussycat stuff doesn't sound any different then their 80's stuff , only the visual has changed (and for the worst.. whats with the fake nazi wear on the opening page... lame)

Whaaat? No different? Only removal of the guitars and replacing them with some electronic sample, apart from that, not much different!

(OK, so I'll go back to that site and see if there's any links to music on there, I'm basing my comments on some shit that LastFM chucked up at me that was apparently Faster Pussycat. It was definitely their tracks, but that's as much as I'm certain of)
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I would never actually call Lizzy Borden "Glam" so to say. They were more shock than glam IMO. Just as they're more shock than goth right now.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Taime did some time in an industrial type band called Pig Face after FPC folded. He brought that back and the redone stuff sounds processed as hell. I really liked them prior to whipped. I think they caved into corperate preasure and made a warrant type album that sucked ass. They peaked on Wake Me When it's Over and will probably never be that good again.

Comment

i saw FP live looking goth nd thought it was cool. i like it better than their old aerosmith-wannabe look.

we all have different taste though...
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by voicex3 View Post
                            i would never actually call lizzy borden "glam" so to say. They were more shock than glam imo. Just as they're more shock than goth right now.
                            +1000
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                            X