No announcement yet.

Strapping Young Lad & Devin Townsend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strapping Young Lad & Devin Townsend...

Have heard about Devin and SYL several times, but never really knew much about them. A sort of string of cosmic events lead to me discovering them in the last couple weeks. That dude is pure awesomeness. I love the SYL stuff. Excellent groove, *KILLER* vocals, songs have a lot of variety, crazy stage presence on the live stuff, then there's just an x-factor that I can't quite pinpoint.

I've been YouTube-ing his solo stuff and am loving it almost more. Really, his solo music is exactly what I would be playing if I had the talent and so forth. I just have fun playing at home and rarely construct entire songs, but do create a lot of riffs, loops, ideas, etc....just have trouble blending them all together. Anyway, I'm rambling, but it's like I'm hearing the music that exactly mirrors what I'd like to create. Awesome to hear, but a little weird at the same time.

Anyway, just want to say that I haven't had any music hit me with the impact that this has in YEARS. Check'em out if you haven't.

"Love" is a good song that kinda blends SYL and his solo styles, so I'll post a Youtube link to a live version of that song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_VBf38XUA

Note: he sang for Steve Vai on the Sex & Religion album. I don't own that album and am gonna have to search it out.
    Last edited by Chad; 03-22-2009, 12:18 AM.

Devvy is a fuggin' genius

Def one of my faves, from ocean machine to his up coming 4 albums. Nothing is heavier to me then SYL. Syl -Syl filmclip absolutely stunned me into a trance! Heavy is brilliant, city is amazing, specially underneath the waves. Fuck it, they're all great! The new black was the greatest satire of a bands situation I'd ever heard.

Ocean Machine is fucking magical, infinity is the height of his craziness, physicist is the worlds premier speed pop album etc. Terria. Nuff said!

I could go on and on about this dude.

Comment

...and I will!!

Nothin' makes me giggle like his vampira dance. Also, Hyperdrive off of ziltoid is another of my 'Greatest Songs Ever'. I'll let someone else take over now

Comment

I only know of him from his work with Vai on the Sex & Religion album...I'll have to check out his solo stuff.

Comment

I've had this as one of my favs on youtube for months now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxmrS9FIzc this is the type of music i would love to have the talent to play. the lyrics are kind of lame in parts but overall still one of my favs. Zen and Relentless are two of my favorite SYL songs
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I love Dev and the SYL guys.
            good stuff.
            Check this one out.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWixB...eature=related
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I know it has nothing to do with his skills or anything, but that's quite the skullet.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Almost Again... great friggin tune. The music video is a bit creepy but I can't get over that tune.
                Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Deadhead is win.
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

DT did a cover of Rush's Natural Science for one of those Rush Tribute compilation cd's called Working Man years ago and it was just incredible. Now I love Rush, but DT did that song so much better. The whole cd is actually really good with lots of famous people on there.
                    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

vai also played on his synchestra album. i like his solo stuff a touch more, because ... well, just because :P hehe
                      You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Gene Hoglan beats the hell out of those drums...

Comment

Working...
                        X