Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your memorable "Cuttin Heads" story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
    Holbrook?....It's the gateway to Winslow!
    "Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous"

Now where's my Montana stick?
    *** There are some sheep, that kinda look like me !! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
      Several years ago, I walked into my favorite music store on a Saturday morning. Back by the amps, there was this cat tuning up and after a minute or two of noodling around, he ripped off some incredible licks. He was a very fluid player and surprisingly tasteful. Several people gathered around as he demonstrated his skills. When he finished, several people clapped, a couple people whistled, and then this came from his mouth "I'm pretty damned good, huh?"

Standing beside me was an oriental kid who I'd say was 15 or 16. He was holding an Ibanez and he asked if he could try that same amp. He tuned up, stretched his alien like fingers, and proceeded to wail like no one I've ever heard. I thought the fucking building was going to implode. This kid had groove, feeling, emotion, and probably knew every chop, lick, riff known to mankind. When he finished, I looked over at the first guy and said "just had bad is your ass puckered right now?"
      *** That just proves, that even if your Guthrie Govan...theres some kid
      out there...BETTER! So always be humble.. imo

Comment

cutting heads

I heard Ted Nugent issued the head cutting challenge in Memphis years ago and who walks up--Shawn Lane--I do not have to tell you the rest of the story..I think after that nite was when Ted quit doing that..

Comment

Originally posted by popskull View Post
          I heard Ted Nugent issued the head cutting challenge in Memphis years ago and who walks up--Shawn Lane--I do not have to tell you the rest of the story..I think after that nite was when Ted quit doing that..
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by popskull View Post
            OMFG!

I was bored one day back in college, and decided to haul my trusty MIK Ibanez RG250 and crappy amp to the school jazz band tryouts. Now I'd been playing for 4 years and knew my theory pretty good, but was more of a shredder guy at the time (never really even listened to jazz). The tryouts were basically these round-robin improvised solos with a full big band. On guitars, it was between me and some other kid my age who had already been in the band for a year or two. My solo was first, and I just went for it...and really nailed it! Kinda fun, actually. The other kid went next, and he just sort of copped my licks (not as well). Afterwards, the band director said he liked my playing and offered me the gig. I said...nah, give it back to the other kid!

Comment

At my wedding I was prompted to sit in with the band and play a song. I grabbed the guitarists Strat and I proceeded to play every Malmsteen Riff I knew to Johnny B Good. When I was finished I handed the guitar back to the dude. It was completely out of tune and he asked me if it still worked.

Comment

I had a similar experience at a local music store. The typical 20 hackers were there struggling through everything from Nirvana to Ironman. Anyway... in the back there was this young nerdy looking Japanese kid.
                I would have guesed that he was a beginner and probably around 14.
                He was playing a bottom of the line Ibanez through an Line 6 Spyder.
                He was so incredibly good that I considered giving up playing. I asked him how long he had been playing for and he told me 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  I had a similar experience at a local music store. The typical 20 hackers were there struggling through everything from Nirvana to Ironman. Anyway... in the back there was this young nerdy looking Japanese kid.
                  I would have guesed that he was a beginner and probably around 14.
                  He was playing a bottom of the line Ibanez through an Line 6 Spyder.
                  He was so incredibly good that I considered giving up playing. I asked him how long he had been playing for and he told me 2 years.
                  You should have just broken his fingers! That way eventually... we will
                  be the only players left! ;-) Damn Kids!

Comment

Man!,...Robert, your story brings to mind a situation that happened to me not to unlike your own but in the end I got my Ass handed to me by a much better player than myself at the time. Back around late`78 or early`79 when I was about 16 or 17 my very first band was playing our very first gig at some youth center for a bunch of kids between the ages of about 10 to 16. At the time my most impressive licks were from the Kiss and Ted Nugent songs we did. Well the bass player in my band (he was 16 at the time) just happened to invite his older guitar playing cousin (I belive he was in his early to mid 20's) to the gig to check us out. Well, after we played our first set my bass player introduced me to his cousin and of course asked if he could check out my guitar. And what happens?,...first he hits a big A chord and jumps right into "Eruption"!!!, and this guy is pullin' it off to a tee!! or it least it sounded like that to my seventeen year old ears at the time! LOL! He did the hammer on's at the end and everything. Then what does he do?,..of course he goes into "You really got me" and by that time my bass player and drummer had joined in! LOL! and I was like "I didn't know you guys knew that song!" Come to find out, the bass player had worked it out before hand with his cousin! And of course what comes after that?, "Aint' talkin' about Love"!,...and I was like, "Hey!!,..We just played this song in our set!!" LOL!!! This guy might as well have been Eddie Van Halen himself wipein' the flood with me at this point! LOL!!!!! Ahh!,...Sweet memories of my guitar playing as a youth,...NOT!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Comment

I've had the benefit of living mostly in small towns, so many many times I was able to show up anyone there; which of course led to big let downs. When I finally got a trip to Guitar Center in Chicago I was psyched to see what the players there were like. I thought that these 3 string sweeps and lame legato runs were amazing, and at the GC in Chicago there was a 14 year old there playing a King V really quietly. I sat down across from him and played an Ibanez and did my little thing that I thought was great. The 14 year old young mans Dad complimented my playing and asked me to listen to his son. I gladly obliged, and listened to the kid run through the Crazy Train main solo like he wrote the damn thing. Next he flew through the main Master of Puppets solo like it was a joke. It wasn't that those were the most challenging amazingly difficult solos ever, it was that he played them effortlessly and perfectly at 14 years old. That kid is probably on this forum somewhere can I remember he said he owned some Jacksons.

I learned a whole lot about humility and taste that day, I came into the store with none, and left with at least a little of both. Since then I've just been a casual player instead of looking to make a career out of it. I've had some times since that I've had the pleasure of showing someone up, but I know that there's always someone better, and probably on my block.

Comment

Working...
                      X