What did Ed use for his solos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Ed use for his solos?

People allways talk about Ed's Brown Sound (and that would be his main guitar sound) but what i he use to cut thru on his solos? I know that lots of his solos have is flanger or phaser in there, but did he boost the volume for his solos with his eq pedal or some thing else? or did the sound guys did that for him?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

There was no bass in the mix, so Ed didn't need to turn up. He just needed Dave to shut up.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Recording or live??

Comment

Well to know both would help.
        '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
        '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
        custom made Les Paul
        VOX Tonelab LE
        Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
        ADA MP1
        BBE 422A
        Lexicon MPX-G2
        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
        Support Your Local 81

Comment

"There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post

Endrik..... you are the man. EXACTLY.

Comment

I am going to go against the grain and say Gibson PAF pickups he would grab from old Les Paul's was key to his tone and that is why it is hard to replicate 100%.

Flame suit on.

Comment

i've seen pix of his pedal board with an old graphic eq, with a frown curve, boosting the mids.. he sometimes put the phase 90 on there too.

dave

Comment

You guys... except for Endrik... just don't get it. When Ed is playing live he doesn't have to do anything to boost his solo's. That is done at the console. There is a tech standing there waiting for every fill and every solo and he just turns him up by moving the slider dedicated to Ed's amp. Most pro's don't need to channel switch from clean to rhythm either. Its all done at the board. Effects too most of the time.
                  His live solo's cut through because of volume... period. It has nothing to do with pickups, amps, effects, eq's.... its all PA.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    You guys... except for Endrik... just don't get it. When Ed is playing live he doesn't have to do anything to boost his solo's. That is done at the console. There is a tech standing there waiting for every fill and every solo and he just turns him up by moving the slider dedicated to Ed's amp. Most pro's don't need to channel switch from clean to rhythm either. Its all done at the board. Effects too most of the time.
                    His live solo's cut through because of volume... period. It has nothing to do with pickups, amps, effects, eq's.... its all PA.
                    You saved me a ton of typing!

+1
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Exactly! What a joy it must be to have a good sound man. The rest of us are left to find a way to give ourselves a solo boost...not the ideal set-up IMO.

Comment

Ed used a Phase 90 on most of his solos on the debut disc.
                        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                        X