Prepare to have your face melted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare to have your face melted

I love neo classical "shred" guitar, but I have to admit, most of the guys that do it get on my nerves after about 30 seconds. Aside from Paul Gilbert, Yngwie, and Vinnie Moore, Tony Macalpine is also one of the few that I could listen to all day. In this clip, Tony is peeling paint off the walls but it is still musical... Good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmoe6...eature=related

What year was that from? I see he is using BC Rich. He is currently using Carvin isn't he? His playing is outstanding. I agree with you. Most of the "shredder wannabees" get very boring very quickly. Macalpine, Vinnie Moore, and Paul Gilbert seem to always keep it interesting. They don't tend to play the same pattern and licks over and over. I have a very hard time listening to any of Yngwie's stuff after the first 3 albums and the Alcatraz stuff - too much repetition and blatantly ripping himself off on newer songs. Thanks for the video.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think the clip is from the mid to late 90's. Most of that show is on youtube, and I thought I saw somewhere that is was at GIT.

I was going to mention that I prefer Yngwies stuff up to Odysey too. I think these days he tries too hard or something. When he lets it flow and plays with a little more touch and restraint he's hard to beat. I also feel he's on autopilot these days... that old fire seems to be gone. He is still a great performer though.

Comment

Wow, great stuff...never knew about him before now.

Comment

that awful gayboard sound ruined it
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Great stuff, add Greg Howe to the list of guys who shred with some style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXG0...eature=related

Comment

Not bad..,

But no one melts my face like Jason Becker.

Comment

Yeah, I dug Greg's first album. I listened to it alot when it came out. Bad Racket was one of my favorites off of it, so thanks for that!

You know, I was never a big Becker fan... I didn't pay too much attention to his playing back in the day, though I realized his talent. Later on when I started checking out some of his stuff with Cacophony I got bored with it pretty quick because it seemed that most of his solos were just sweep picked arpeggios and didn't have much diversity in them. I thought Marty handed him his ass in most cases.

Once I dug a little deeper however, I found out that Jason was much more than that. This is some good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFoSbjXB68

It is definitely tragic what happened to him. It would have been interesting to hear him develop playing with Roth, or any other band project that came later.

Comment

Greg Howe and Richie Kotzen are the only Sharpnel guys (the only ones who didn't do neo-classical shred) I listen to these days but I don't mind some Vinnie or T-Mac.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

MacAlpine - Oct 17, 1996 at GIT 45minutes.

And that Howe vid, I've always wanted to find tab for that song.
                    One hell of an excercise

Comment

AGH!

I'm not Ron!

Comment

I always dug Tony Mac a very tasteful player.I"M MELTING!!!!!!!!!!
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Cool...Still think Vinnie Moore is a way better guitar player...But Tony is a more accomplished musician...
                          www.JerryRobison.com
                          '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            that awful gayboard sound ruined it

Yeah... At least he turned it off after a bit...

He's good. Nice guy too... Lotsa guys I like better though (as players).

Comment

i love tony man, he's second to none, all of his instrumental albums after the neo shred phase i have about 7 of them, are great too mostly fusion type stuff. he has the best high string screaming bends man, he makes that shit sing.

Comment

Working...
                              X