the disappointment called anthrax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the disappointment called anthrax

why didn't these guys live up to their potential? i was jamming out in the car today to the "armed and dangerous" ep, remembering how awesome anthrax WAS...

i LOVED "fistful of metal" - neil turbin was a pretty decent singer....a lot of those songs are classics to me and helped define my teen years.

"spreading the disease" was awesome too. AIR - MAN what a killer song...

danny spitz was SO much better than kirk hammett....he has a fluidity and his use of exoctic scales was pretty neat too....speed with melody...

EVERY part of that band WAS killer...

"among the living" was okay....started to get a little too goofy for me, but still a good album.

after that...eh. an okay song here and there but nothing AWESOME - it is almost like they just got too wrapped up in trying new stuff and they just sorta faded away.

what a shame.

what do you guys think? oh, and has anybody heard anything with their newest singer?
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Oh yeah, back in the golden days of thrash metal. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax were my go-to cassettes when I was a teen. After Among the Living, the only Anthrax album I bought was Sound of White Noise, which still gets its turn in the cd player. Now that you mention them, though, I'm curious to see what they're up to now.

Comment

I think Anthrax were at the height of their powers with Among the Living. Solid, strong but still not too serious.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFitty View Post
        Oh yeah, back in the golden days of thrash metal. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax were my go-to cassettes when I was a teen. After Among the Living, the only Anthrax album I bought was Sound of White Noise, which still gets its turn in the cd player. Now that you mention them, though, I'm curious to see what they're up to now.
        I quit after the Sound of White Noise as well. I love Thrash Metal and I'd like to add Sabbat, Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Testament, Heathen, Death Angel, and old Sepultura as some of my favs as well as the ones that you mentioned.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

State of Euphoria is actually really good. Go back and give it a chance - it's worth it. After that, things tail off somewhat....
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I love most of what they've done - I own all their albums.
            But I've no interest in hearing what they do with this new guy who I've heard on a couple of songs and he just sounds like a poor man's John Bush.
            Fuck 'em.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Stomp 442 is my favorite Anthrax record. I thought it had great songs and a great tone to it, plus Dime bag played some solos...
              H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

i use to love anthrax and still do alot of ther old stuff, but scott ian is way to busy making guest appearances on vh1 right now to concentrate on metal
                92 rhoades ex professional

Comment

I loved Anthrax , had all there albums and eps up to Sound of White Noise, saw them live twice with Belladona, watched oedivnickufecin almost religiously

But then I grew up, also that Scott and Charlie became bitter a-holes didn't help either.

Last time I listened to White noise it came across as a massive whine fest.

Comment

As posted above, "White Noise" was the end of the road for me also. I still have the same CD after all these years and it has been played maybe 5 times.

This made me just put it on right now though!
                    Last edited by phill_up; 11-22-2008, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I was really into Among The Living for a while. The Public Enemy thing made me angry.

Comment

I was a casual fan for awhile, never bought their stuff but would listen to it and saw them on someone else's tour.

I'm the Man was really popular for awhile, looking back at the vid it makes me wonder why in retrospect.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljB4k...eature=related

Nice shorts.

Anti-Social was cool though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t0affoV5rI
                        Last edited by Larz; 11-22-2008, 11:43 AM.
                        Jackson KV2
                        Jackson KE1T
                        Jackson KE1F
                        Jackson SL1

Comment

PM me for free anthrax CD, you pay shipping.

Comment

I like the Sound of White Noise and Stomp 442. Not much into anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              I The Public Enemy thing made me angry.
                              Same here, it was about this time I felt that they developed a really smarmy attitude, almost like you were some kind of narrowminded racist red neck if you didn't listen to rap.

I remember an interview where they were going nuts about someone asking them if the title "sound of white noise" was a race statement.

Actually thinking about it, Dan, Joey and Frank seemed pretty cool, it was Scott and Charlie's constant douchbagery that killed Anthrax for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X