I met Michael Schenker today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I met Michael Schenker today

Today I got to meet one of my all time favorite guitarists, Michael Schenker. For me, this was a big deal, since I have been a fan of his since I was around 15 or so. (I'm 42 now). I've been working in the U.S.A. Custom Shop at Dean Guitars in Tampa for about 3 years now. For the last year and a half I've been winding and assembling pickups, working with Pat Baker, who runs the custom shop, to come up with custom wound pickups for some of our artists. We talked a little about some of the old MSG and UFO albums and his signature pickup. He's a really nice guy and was more than happy to hang around, chat and get his pic snapped with me. I just wanted to share this because I know there are a few fans of his here also.

This is a pic of Michael and me holding his pickup.

You sir, are a lucky, lucky man
    Anyone notice Slash and Michael Jackson both appear in the "Rock Will Never Die" video?

Check it out if you haven't seen it yet, see if you can spot them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj__XDh8LCk
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

damn he looks good. he must have not fell into alcohol/drug lifestyle so many of them have.

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
        damn he looks good. He must have not fell into alcohol/drug lifestyle so many of them have.

Comment

Very cool. So did you give him is pickup back?
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

damn he looks good. he must have not fell into alcohol/drug lifestyle so many of them have.

Comment

That's cool! Glad he's cleaned up a little and lost the "skateboarder bum" look. In honor of Michael, here's a pic of my baby.

"POOP"

Comment

Is Jon Hill running the Dean shop there?

Comment

Yep, every time I've talked to him he's always been nice and cordial, even though he doesn't need to be at 2 am after a gig! :ROTF:

Any mention of playing the states anytime soon?

I know he skipped to Europe to avoid his ex's and various alimony/child support issues (Mike was posting the emails between them on his site - some jaw-dropping stuff), really hoping he got it all cleared up!!!

FWIW, the new album is actually pretty good, hope Barden stays - he's MADE for MSG!
                  Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Schenker???? Dam, that guy has fallen in and out of drugs and alcohol more than Charlie Sheen has been in and out of hookers.

Fortunately he always seems to get back to playing his guitar. He has some bad tendencies, but you can't knock his playing. Whenever I am bored of the newest trends or get tired of mastering some Paul Gilbert licks, I always go back to the super mellow dramatic melodies of Michael Schenker. Never would have played guitar if it wasn't for him.

And yeah, those emails going back and forth on his website some years ago were surreal. What were those invloved thinking???

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                      Fortunately he always seems to get back to playing his guitar. He has some bad tendencies, but you can't knock his playing. Whenever I am bored of the newest trends or get tired of mastering some Paul Gilbert licks, I always go back to the super mellow dramatic melodies of Michael Schenker. Never would have played guitar if it wasn't for him.
                      Same thoughts here, he's such a melodic player, Strangers In The Night was one of the reasons I picked up the guitar, it still send shivers up my spine now.

I've always been a big fan of Herr Schenker, but he's p#ssed me off a couple of times: had tickets to see UFO in the recent reunions and twice the gigs have been cancelled, one literally just as we were leaving the house to travel to it. But I'm still a big fan, got my Flying V , in fact just bought Guitar Techniques (UK mag) today which has an article on him.

Glad he's got himself sorted out (....again.....)

Comment

What are the specs of his pickup?
                        '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                        '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                        custom made Les Paul
                        VOX Tonelab LE
                        Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                        ADA MP1
                        BBE 422A
                        Lexicon MPX-G2
                        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                        Support Your Local 81

Comment

Sweet deal!! one of my all time favorite guitar players as well.
                          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                            Is Jon Hill running the Dean shop there?
                            Yes, he is.

Comment

I'll kick it around.
                              I've always enjoyed this song, just a fun rockin' tune.
                              Pretty decent playing.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWRaz...eature=related
                              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                              X